Hi

Yozzi

I'm Paul, I've wanted to own a Subaru Impreza WRX wagon since I first fell in love with them in 2002.  Now that I'm nearly 40 years of age I'm finally in a position were I can justify scratching that itch.

I've been on the look out for the right one for a number of weeks now but I have come the realisation that I need to learn more about them to avoid making a bad purchase.  Therefore, i have decided to join the forum and gather us much knowledge as I can.

Ideally, I'm after a silver 2002 wagon.  However, I have spotted a dark blue one on autotrader with only 80k mileage.  The description is promising but the car has the Subaru swoosh on the bonnet and down both sides of the car which is putting me off.  Are they stickers?  Are they easy to remove?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504012248397

Hopefully, I'll get the car I've dreamed of owning for almost 15 years soon enough and then I can share pictures, joys, and woes here.

Hi Paul welcome to S.O.C 

We have a short guide with some extra input from other members that is worth a look :D 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

Yeah they will be stickers and removing them is easy enough it's the glue but some WD40 and a rag or petrol will remove that real easy with some elbow grease. Or you can get sticky stuff remover from Halfords but I think it's just WD40 in a differant can :D The add sounds good but only real way to tell is to drive it see it when it's cold and let it warm up to temp. But anymore questions feel free to ask good bunch on here should feel welcome :D 

Hi mate

welcome to the club

They will be stickers and will come off easy, but I had stickers on my last car for about 3 years and when I took them off the paint polished up great and was nice and shiney. But when it was cold and frosty you could still see where the stickers had been (even after 'paint correction' and clay bar)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I missed out on the car I linked to through being indecisive but I have decided to stick to finding a silver wagon.  Can you tell me about the differences between the 2000 and 2002 models? There is a silver 2000 wagon available at the moment which looks tempting.

This is the car I'm planning on viewing this Saturday.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510077569768

Can I trouble you for your impressions? I'm torn as to whether to wait for a bugeye.  Although I think this 2000 looks nice externally and the quoted mileage is attractive, it is at the top of my budget and I'm not completely sold on the interior in comparison to the bugeye interior.  Am I being to fussy given my relatively low budget?

It's due a cambelt so I'd expect to knock off 400 at least (independent garage) double that for dealer , it's steep for the year looks clean, you'd prob get a bug for cheaper as they are slightly less loved,if it's close to you it may be worth a look but I reckon you'd find something you like if you kept hunting

• Like 1

Whilst low mileage is good, sitting around and short journeys aren't, so it depends what use its had. I'd rather have a later model for more refinement especially if it's your daily driver like mine is, but good classics are getting rare.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

As above, you have waited a while. This is the crucial time, decide on exactly what shape you like best and want most. What was the shape you have wanted more, classic, bugeye or blob. Colour is crucial too, u don't want to be waxing ur car and thinking if only i had that colour it would look 10x better

Buy ur car taking the above into account, also service history, m.o.t. check it too, hpi, check it from cold, make sure fully warmed before test drive and it pulls as it should. Good classics are rare now. But if u find a really good one, the thing to remember is in some cases the value will not drop if maintained and kept clean, but may rather go up.