Tuning help.

Haydnp1987

Hi all need a little help in understanding tuning. In time I want to upgrade my turbo I want to go with the aps dr70 turbo to get me around the 700bhp mark. But will my car need more work done to it 2 make it a more solid engine.here are some of the spec now off some of the receipts I have. Ok robored engine block acl Shell bearings manly con rods mahle pistons cosworth head gaskets and arp head studs.at a cost of £2.861.48.aps 3.5 sports exhaust system aps dr 725 front mount intercooler aps cool air intake. Motor sports fuel pump. Mite m800 ecu. Aps sr55 turbo. As turbine inlet pipe aps auxiliary injector fuel system aps parallel rail fuel system aps twin injector race manifold housing. Secondary oil cooler uprated spark plugs. Also another receipt for an gems group-n rally ecu.confused to which one is on car. At a price of £8.840. So all in all if I was to upgrade turbo for more power will my engine need other internals.sorry if this is not making sense. Also defi gauges aswell.also 3 port boost control solenoid. Also an am x-wifi uego and get sensor.havent got a clue what half of this is.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Your target power is achievable with a 2ltr cdb block but would be easier with a 2.35 build .

It's difficult to say whether your current engine would be up to 700 hp as i don't know the full spec or who built it .

The pistons would have to be the Mahle "race" spec type .

The head studs would have to have been converted to 14mm .

The heads themselves would have to be worked jdm big port items .

The block would have to be closed deck type .

I'm unsure about the limits for your current manley rods , oil pump ,fuel pump ,injector size ,clutch and drive train .

You'd probably need suspension and brake upgrades too .

Why are you aiming so high with your target power and what power are you running at the moment?

If you have a look between the alternator and the top of the block it will have some hatch markings on it I'll try to dig out a pic, I presume if it's already running that power it should be or at least pinned. I presume the rebore has taken the capacity beyond the standard 2l ?

Was gonna say clives your man,right on cue [emoji106]

Don't suppose you've a pic of the top of your block to hand Clive ?

In my opinion 500 bhp is a comfortable ceiling for a daily driver/road based machine otherwise you'll be in danger of loosing your licence ever time you go out, I imagine it would be a little Lagg to say the least them all hell is gonna break loose before you know it you'll be into three figures

Ok will try and have a look tomorrow now. Savage bulldog I have a rolling road print out of 402.9bhp the car has had suspension set up bc coil over full track set up and alignment with Brembo brakes and discs.unsure of clutch. Also also short shift gear.

Yea understand what ur saying stants I just love the adrenaline use 2 have a motorbike but sold it and got the car cause winter is here and I've always wanted a decent subaru. I'm not saying this is guna happen over night but something I wouldn't mined getting done as I use the car on the weekend as my toy. Some of the receipts are from subaru 4 you.co.uk. and g-force motors ports. Co.uk. which I now think they have change the name 2 dm automotive I think. Post code for them is hp19 8te Aylesbury. Alot of work was carried out by them.aswell

Closed deck blocks usually have ### markings under the alternator /above the center crank pulley, like in this pic if you zoom in cos it's not the best

10D6FAC5-orig_zps173814fd.jpg

As stants said hi hp is nice but doesn't always work on the road . A big hi hp turbo will normally spool late in the Rev range , you'd probably find a 450hp car would be quicker spooling and a faster point to point car for road use .

Does it have a 6 speed ?

If not newage 5's are normally rated to about 400hp/400 flbs and swapped for either a 6 speed or fitted with uprated 5 speed gear sets .

You might need to uprate engine/gearbox mounts and poly bush a few bits to deal with the extra stress . I'd imagine that you'd need a full brake upgrade over the brembos at 700hp to reign in those big ponies and curb the newage weight once moving

Sounds like you've got quite a few mods in place to support a hi power engine but unfortunately it looks like the block is semi closed and it will be the weakest link at about 450 hp (rods and oil pump pending )

Here's my closed deck block face to show the comparison in the amount of metal around the cylinder liners that give it the extra strength with the right internals

3A0342F8-orig_zps99de1728.jpg

450 hp will still make for a fast low 12 second car on the quarter mile and put most other motors in their place [emoji41]

Personally I'd contact whoever did the engine build and ask what power the engine was built for and wack a turbo on to achieve just under that target , so you can experience what 400 +flbs feels like before you break the bank with a complete fresh 2.35 build and rotated turbo set up costing £10k + [emoji6]

As a 700hp set up would be Laggy and have a harsh clutch likely to be unsuitable for daily road use Imo

Thanks for the info. I have an aps sr55 turbo do u know much about them I think my car is running about 1.0 1.1 bar boost. Could this turbo get me 2 400 flbs.i am really happy with the car it's not that I'm bored or anything I've never been in an extremely powerful car and wounder what it would b like this is the most powerful car I've had. I think I need 2 get it on the rolling road and find out exactly what the bhp is.thw car has had alot spent on it and I just wanted 2 know what it's potential could be. Thanks all for ur input.

I've just bought a aps sr40 which I think is based on the gt28rs (garrett duel ball bearing core)rated at 440hp. the aps turbos do tend to make less power than they say at aps but they're capable of running nearly 2 bar of boost although they do spool a bit later than a s.c or md turbo .

I think mine hit 1.2 bar at 3.8 k on the last 2ltr engine with uk cams making 376 hp . I just intended on getting my mapper to up the boost to 1.5 bar and hopefully just break the 400hp/ 400 flbs mark .

Does seem strange that the previous mapper only used 1.1 bar but the sr55 is a fair bit bigger than the sr40 and probably more suited to a 2.5 ltr. it would spool later and make it's boost higher in the Rev range on a 2ltr so that might be why it's a bit down on torque and mapped low on pressure