induction to be or not to be that is the question

Darren220283

So now I'm confused iv all ways been lead to belive that putting an induction kit on your car is a good thing.  The more cold air you can get in the better the gains will be. 

I even remember taking the air filter of my best mate's vauxhall nover and putting some of my mums old tights over end truly believing me and my mate would get more power and more date's with the lady's ( just in case you was wondering doing this had absolutely  zero effect on eaither ) but still from what iv read induction kits and air filter  are the way to go .

However now that I'm older and suposaly wiser I'm looking at doing it propaly on my wrx but it seems to be 50/50 with people saying it's not worth it and brands like K&N use oils on the filter that mess your maf up so now I'm at a loss is there any one that has change the filter for a panel one or a full kit and does it damage anything or have a negative impact. Any advice would be much appreciated as normal guy's thanks for reading 

The impreza standard intake is considered to be a good source and flow of cold air. It's the same question as what's the best oil... you'll hear opinions that there's no real gain with an induction over a free flow panel filter until 350hp+. The induction kit will give you a nice sound, the panel filter will keep the engine bay looking standard. You're right in saying avoid oil based filters but the rest is down to personal opinion. I have a cosworth panel filter and coupled with other supporting mods I managed to 276hp(limited now by turbo).

Let the opinions fly! [emoji5] [emoji5] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Colder denser air creates a hotter combustion and adds hp ,hence why the standard air box draws air from outside the engine bay .

Induction cones do tend to draw hot air from the cramped engine bay unless accompanied by a cold feed .

So a free flowing panel filter and air box resonator delete is the norm unless you have to remove the air box to fit a fmic [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

Hi thanks guy's ye I'm starting to get the picture now it's like starting a conversation about tire choice lol. I'd like to have more power and sound but il all way's wont power to take first place. Iv seen a few people talk and say that they have Cosworth panle filter in but I'm shocked at the amount of people who dislike K&N I all was thought they were at the top of everyone wish list thanks for the advice guy's much  appreciated 

• Like 1

Yeah thats just my opinion from my experience and what I've read , I've got not seen any before and after rolling results and I run a 3" k&n cone filter due to my fmic set up [emoji23]

But there's a bit of space where the abs "isn't " and a hole in my inner wing .

If newage have a resonator under the drivers wing (like classics ) you can cut the restrictive part out and get a bit more roar from a panel filter and drawing more cold air from under the wing [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

It's unbelievable how many different opinion there are on this I was thinking of going K&N typhoon or a viper induction kit but now I'm not to shore. A lot of people saying just change the panle one out for a better one Cosworth, ramair and K&N seem to be popular so think I might try that out first.

On the other hand I do need a new exhaust and scooby clinic quoted me 1800 but thst would include a full system a remap new fule pump and a new air filter so I might just do panle for now thanks again for your input guy's 

• Like 1

Clinic are well over priced. Don't leave your car with them either [emoji12]

Panel filter £35~

Fuel pump £120(rcm)

Zorst £100-£600+(depends on 2ND hand or new/make)

Remap £600~ with dyno time

All can be done yourself if handy with a spanner bar remap. New gaskets for the exhaust but they're relatively cheap.