coilover question

hi guys.ok so i have never had coilovers on a car just lowering springs before so got a couple of questions 

1st the obvious, are coilovers worth the extra cost instead off lowering spring

2nd, when you have them fitted does anyone ever mess with their settings,if not then why not just go with lowering springs

and final, if you do change setting like raise car when extra weight is in car do you have to keep having camber check and stuff.

just weighing up whats best option for me,i wont be messing with them so i was thinking they would probly be wasted money and sould just go with springs,i wont be doing track days or stuff like that either,what do you guys think.

Springs are only half the suspension. Coilovers also have the damper. If ride height is adjusted camber will need to be set again. The main bonus for coilovers is the ability to adjust the stiffness of the suspension, easily adjust the camber with adjustable top mounts and choose what ride height you want rather than being governed by a spring which once it's on that's it. First set up will probably be a pain and consist of plenty of trial and error until you get set up how you want. I recently bought a set of hks coilovers for £350. Bargain really considering the new cost of a decent brand.

Depends, I went down new shocks and springs as the reviews for the bc's were mixed, some people say the top mounts fail quickly and the ride is crashy, others don't have a problem, is its my daily I decided against the coils.

Have a look at various brands,the tein ones are supposed to be good on our roads,

http://www.tein.co.uk/product/index.html

Also scooby parts do a brand that's isn't bc which are supposed to be better

There's pro's n cons with both, I'm currently considering buying coilovers for my classic (mainly because I'm bored and partly because my rear arches have already been rolled )

Coilovers do give you more adjustment over the height and damper but I think most of them are aimed at track use, so are quite stiff even on a soft setting.

Service wise coilovers do tend to cost a fair bit to get refurbished whereas with separate shocks,springs and top mounts you can just buy the individual part that's failed.

If there's not a uk refurber, you could end up spending a fortune on shipping and waiting a long time to get coilovers back (so I'd bear that in mind when choosing a brand)

I'm still undecided which way I'll go as I'm quite happy with the current handling and comfort the elbaich springs,oe shocks and group n top mounts give .....

But I do like the look of the meister zeta r coilovers as they seem to get good reviews and are aimed at mainly fast road rather than track (so hopefully they won't make my daily a tooth chipper )

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

If i did get some coilovers then i had look't at the tien street,price not bad as well for them as i dont really wana spend loads specially if when fitted i wont be messing with them.i only really want to drop car about 20mm and hopefully not make it 2 harsh a ride.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Could always go for a set of non adjustable springs and dampers if you just want a fixed drop and won't be changing your ride height. At least then you will be getting a matched set of springs and dampers. I had a set of bilstein on my golf that were great quality and for the same money I would have only been able to get fairly poor coilovers.

• Like 1