Private plate spacing?

Sandals

Just intrigued...

My neighbours have always had private number plates, but today they have fitted new ones, same plate but with a slight change. They have removed the 33mm gap which separates the two groups so it's now just 5 characters all together.

I thought this was illegal? I've googled it and have found that number plates need to have the 33mm gap but this relates to standard plates, couldn't find anything on private ones.

Thoughts? 

I've had mine on for well over 10 years and been picked up once along time ago, £30 fine and that was a full on pull over everyone type of campaign. I think if they are legal size and font your less likely to draw attention.

Not suggesting anyone one follows example though :happy:

I have no gaps in mine and been followed by Police a number of times without any pulling over - I think they are more interested when the letters are modified to appear to be different or numberplate screw caps placed strategically to misrepresent letters/numbers. A Speed Camera can flash me and they would still be able to trace the number as easily as if there were a space whereas when people modify letters and numbers, it can be harder! Its only my opinion and seems a fair comment.

THAT'S NOT MINE BY THE WAY IN THE PICTURE! JUST AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I AM EXPLAINING

illegal_numberplate_2.jpg

Only thingI don't like about yours Geoff is the size of the plate why jag and others, rover springs to mind too, made the plate to fit that hole,who in the design dept thought ah I know a massive yellow plastic bit would finish it off nicely ?

• Like 2

My personal opinion is if its a genuine private plate from dvla not had to mess with it they ok i would have one.but when you have to move letter about to sort off spell something they just look cheap and naff.n personally if you have messed about with it n police give you a fine then thats your own fault.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

As has been said before long as it looks right you get left. I have an import plate with the letters a little smaller than they should be never had a problem. I also had pressed plates on my old vw with no problems. 

I guess it's about being sensible with it long as your not trying to trick the anpr cameras you shouldn't get to much bother. 

• Like 1