What does this mean? bubling radiator water...

Martin959

Hi guys, the other day i went to the top of a mountain with the scooby, i drove it quite chill, nothing crazy... no more than 3000 rpms uphill and when i got to the top i got this:

Any ideas whats going on? Water levels seems to be ok... temperature ok... but this was happening... 

Thanks! :D

Worst case u have cooked it or could just be an airlock. My bmw used to do it  had a small hole somewere and air used to get i to system and do same thing. Also had a landrover that did it but i had well cooked that. 

Can't say I've seen the symptoms before but I haven't driven up any mountains in my scoob either .

Here's a few ideas anyways

How's the engine temperature gauge and are all coolant pipes getting hot ?

The coolant does look clear in colour, has it got the correct coolant to water mix for your climate? (In Spain ain't ya ?)

As it sounds like it's boiling maybe ?

it could be something to do with the thinner air affecting the air fuel ratio, although I'd have thought the less dense air would make it richer and therfore making the combustion cooler not hotter

The air density sensor might be faulty?

Not sure how you'd check the air density sensor but it's on the boost solinoid bracket (the bit with the "cap" on it) maybe you can swap it with a known working one to rule it out ?

Best of luck, bud

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

21 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Can't say I've seen the symptoms before but I haven't driven up any mountains in my scoob either .

Here's a few ideas anyways

How's the engine temperature gauge and are all coolant pipes getting hot ?

The coolant does look clear in colour, has it got the correct coolant to water mix for your climate? (In Spain ain't ya ?)

As it sounds like it's boiling maybe ?

it could be something to do with the thinner air affecting the air fuel ratio, although I'd have thought the less dense air would make it richer and therfore making the combustion cooler not hotter

The air density sensor might be faulty?

Not sure how you'd check the air density sensor but it's on the boost solinoid bracket (the bit with the "cap" on it) maybe you can swap it with a known working one to rule it out ?

Best of luck, bud

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Hey Savage! :D

The gague when i got to the top of the mountain was normal, no overheating or anything like that... but next day i check the water and it was a little bit brownish, but the levels were normal... yes, and it was boiling :(

hahaha thanks!!!!!!!! :D

I will check on eBay now, if its not expensive maybe worth to change it :P