Another suspension clunk question

Just get my calipers replaced yesterday and then today I am getting a clunking sound whenever I put my foot on the brake, I put it down to the brakes since they had just been sorted so dropped by the garage and they looked at it immediately. After them looking at it for the best part of an hour, checking various parts, cleaning various bits and couldn't find anything wrong, they seem to think it is suspension related.

It doesn't knock when going over bumps or anything, only does it when I apply the brakes. It's booked in for a week on Monday but it would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any ideas so I can jack the car up and wiggle bits to see if I can replicate the clunk!

Could be cheap pads, if the backplates are slightly to small they will move back n forth in the carrier this would give the clunking noise. an other thing would be very obvious as would require lose wheel bolts like discs moving if the bolt holes are to big etc.

pop a wheel off, remove the spring plate off the calliper and see if you can move the pads around with your fingers easy. if you can that will be the noise. 

Other could be worn ball joint, wishbone bush, list is quite big, easy way to check. jack car up take wheel off, using a small pry bar see if you can create movement in the joint your checking, use moderate force only. If you find one bush or ball joint failing make sure you replace the same component on the opposite side of the car.

• Like 1

Def not the brakes, the calipers were replaced but the discs and pads were not (pads are brembo) as they were replaced in January.

They did point out a few months ago that there was a small amount of play in my anti-roll bar bushes... could be that?

After a lot of googling... it seems this is a surprisingly common issue and it mostly points to brake pads. Apologies for righting that off so quickly!! I've ordered a new set of caliper pins because they are pennies so will give that a shot, could be because my old calipers were genuine subaru ones and the new ones are WRX Pro so could have a little bit more room for manouvre? 

Don't rule out suspension as it easy to have a look/check, would expect droplinks or d-bushes etc clunk on some bumps etc too .

Always good to assume nothing & test everything on stuff like this and more so when testing quick & simple. point on pads/caliper valid too but if don't seem obviously sloppy won't be easy encourage the garage along this route without suspension A1 order first ... good luck ...

• Like 1

Fixed! It was the brake pads... when I held them I was able to wiggle them slightly, so took them out checked everything and reseated them, seemed pretty solid, went for a drive and no clunk! I did however notice that one of the pistons is missing a metal ring, see pic below... it's the bottom right piston. Anyone know what it is and should I be worried?

IMG_20160409_124108.jpg

After even more research it is looking likely that the culprit is the caliper pin metal clamp thing... apparently the curvy end of it should be at the top of the caliper, whereas mine are upside down... 

I'd never noticed before which way they were so had no reason to believe they were the wrong way around. Quite embarrassing for the garage since they inspected the car for the best part of an hour when i went back with the clunk, only for them to say that it wasn't the brakes and must be the suspension!!