new vehicle, new day

Hello

just popped in to say 'h'!. Living both in Hungary and the UK, needed something for the harsh winters and the steep hill we live on i Northern Hungary so just bought an 04 Outback Legacy H6. 

I have no info on this model so am learning as I go but it seems to be a very smooth and torquey engine.

Is there a Haynes or equivalent workshop manual? I have the handbook...

I hoped it just needed a gas recharge but the mechanic who checked it noticed that the belt was not turning the pulley on the compressor, it's kind of seized though can be pushed round by hand. Does that make sense?!

When you say the belt wasn't turning the compressor, do you mean the belt was actually slipping on the outer rim of the comp (where the grooves are) or do you mean the centre hub wasn't going round? Switching on the ac, does the clutch click to engage or does nothing happen? If you can hear the clutch clicking but no engagement, it may be that the shims  need  adjusting (removing a shim will allow the clutch to pull in and engage). If there is no clicking when switching on the ac, the relay may be faulty.

easy way to see if it needs just a re-gas, pup the pressure switch off the pipe work near the rad, short out the 2 pins with a bit of wire, start car and turn on the ac, if the clutch engages then its low pressure meaning try with a regas and pressure test

I actually had it regassed but the level was fine. 
The mechanic separated an electrical plug and bipassed it, it didn't work. There is no click or sign that the a/c clutch engages.

I think, though I now wish I'd watched more closely, the centre hub wasn't turning. I can recheck tomorrow. I can also change the relay...

• 2 weeks later...