2016 WRX STi boost ?

Steve36

Hm, "I" mode gave me 0.96 bars of boost, but sport sharp recorded 1.10bar only. I'm not complaining as it really feels like a pure beast in Sharp mode. Though on the other hand, I never floored it yet. And throttle response in Sport Sharp compared to "I" mode is like day and night. All this rubber feeling is gone from the pedal :D

Also while I'm at it, what would be the best oil for 2017 STI after 1k miles? I'm at 1.2k now, and next week I'm off for some holidays, will probably call the dealer to change oil.

27 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

I use shell helix ultra 5-40 one of the best oils you can go buy off the shelf ;)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Thanks, i will keep it in mind ;)

Talking about boost, couple of day ago I got a pure kick to my back from turbo. I've been into boost before with that car, but that time it was different. I even thought I got more than 1.10 boost out of it, but I didn't. Love it.

Having now had a chance to mess about with the different responses (I, S, & S#), yes I can confirm with a few of you that it is only sharpening the throttle response, not the performance. Well, the response on the throttle makes the car more lively but only because little foot travel give instant boost.

You can try this yourselves (if not done this). Sit at a steady 70 on the m/way in "I" drive, hold the rpm and speed, switch to S# and you'll take off, yet you have placed no input through your right foot. It's just that on that mode, little throttle gives you a lot more push. As for floorboard throttle, I would doubt there is any difference between the modes.

4 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

I use shell helix ultra 5-40 one of the best oils you can go buy off the shelf ;)

Sorry, to continue this off topic conversation, but what are the thoughts on Castro Edge Titanium 5w-40 oil? It will be either this or whatever dealer puts in(which will be most likely 5w-30 stock one).

3 hours ago, Daz-RSK said:

Having now had a chance to mess about with the different responses (I, S, & S#), yes I can confirm with a few of you that it is only sharpening the throttle response, not the performance. Well, the response on the throttle makes the car more lively but only because little foot travel give instant boost.

You can try this yourselves (if not done this). Sit at a steady 70 on the m/way in "I" drive, hold the rpm and speed, switch to S# and you'll take off, yet you have placed no input through your right foot. It's just that on that mode, little throttle gives you a lot more push. As for floorboard throttle, I would doubt there is any difference between the modes.

Would the throttle response and instant boost not be associated with increased boost parameters and related increase in fuelling within the different modes?

3 minutes ago, muziqaz said:

Sorry, to continue this off topic conversation, but what are the thoughts on Castro Edge Titanium 5w-40 oil? It will be either this or whatever dealer puts in(which will be most likely 5w-30 stock one).

As long as the oil is of the correct standards JASO etc as well as spec (I believe castrol edge is) I would be fine with it

• Like 1

Only because the dealer wants to pull your pants down , I have very little faith in dealers, I doubt they would even put the correct oil in anyway judging on my experience with them , I would say providing your own oil is prob the best thing to do

5 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Would the throttle response and instant boost not be associated with increased boost parameters and related increase in fuelling within the different modes?

No, not as far as I am aware. You have boost limits that no throttle positioning will break through.

I am learning as much about this motor as the next person, so could easily be wrong. But I would be surprised if a performance motor like these for less than £30k would have different fuel maps within their intelligence and to build those in would cost a few ££ that would have been passed on to the end user - you and I. 

I dealt with Collindale VW before, they are as evil as it can be (not the ladies in the reception, but guys in the garage). With Kingham Subaru, I give them a chance, as their reason for using their own oil is that I might bring some out of spec oil and void the warranty which is understandable. But the lady on the phone said to bring the oil in, and I am sure the chaps in the garage will recognize it as in spec oil and there shouldn't be any issues. Afterall 5W-40 is mentioned in manual as secondary option if 5W-30 is not available.

Also, note, that this dealer paid my first year tax for the car, which is £900+. I only paid actual car price and that's it :)

On the same subject, I take it, oil filter needs changing as well?

17 hours ago, Daz-RSK said:

No, not as far as I am aware. You have boost limits that no throttle positioning will break through.

I am learning as much about this motor as the next person, so could easily be wrong. But I would be surprised if a performance motor like these for less than £30k would have different fuel maps within their intelligence and to build those in would cost a few ££ that would have been passed on to the end user - you and I. 

If you specify the boost limits the fuel will be regulated accordingly as the amount of air being forced into the chambers will be increasing. You will have the sensor in the exhaust as one input the MAF monitoring air flow in the MAP measuring your manifold pressure which inputting to the ECU map will result in the fuel being metered accordingly - as you dont want it running lean under higher boost situations extra fuel will be pumped in.

If (cant remember the member who measured the boost, possibly Sccoby Pete / Salsa or Sandals) the i mode only runs 0.5bar and if no fuel compensation is made against a 1.5bar possible the car would run very rich. So at 0.5bar the air fuel ratio will still be driven to 15.1 (Lambda 1) by the 3 sensors but will not be as dense going into the chambers giving power release of X. At 1.5bar (S#) the air fuel ratio will still be maintained by the ECU adding more fuel as it senses a drop but due to the pressure in the manifold the mixture is denser giving a bigger bang of Z.

So whilst your throttle position does not change whilst switching modes the revs will increase because you are forcing a denser mixture into each chamber causing revs to rise and a subsequent greater increase in power generated for smaller throttle movement - hence the throttle response feels 'crisper' or 'sharper'.

Why not get a turbo boost gauge fitted and see?

I know my Hatch STI was a few years older but you could definitely tell all 329 horses were in play during S# mode.

Have you tried minimising of taking off the traction control as well as that can interfere?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jay762 said:

If you specify the boost limits the fuel will be regulated accordingly as the amount of air being forced into the chambers will be increasing. You will have the sensor in the exhaust as one input the MAF monitoring air flow in the MAP measuring your manifold pressure which inputting to the ECU map will result in the fuel being metered accordingly - as you dont want it running lean under higher boost situations extra fuel will be pumped in.

If (cant remember the member who measured the boost, possibly Sccoby Pete / Salsa or Sandals) the i mode only runs 0.5bar and if no fuel compensation is made against a 1.5bar possible the car would run very rich. So at 0.5bar the air fuel ratio will still be driven to 15.1 (Lambda 1) by the 3 sensors but will not be as dense going into the chambers giving power release of X. At 1.5bar (S#) the air fuel ratio will still be maintained by the ECU adding more fuel as it senses a drop but due to the pressure in the manifold the mixture is denser giving a bigger bang of Z.

So whilst your throttle position does not change whilst switching modes the revs will increase because you are forcing a denser mixture into each chamber causing revs to rise and a subsequent greater increase in power generated for smaller throttle movement - hence the throttle response feels 'crisper' or 'sharper'.

Yes, that makes absolute sense Jay. Sorry, my error and that is enforced by muziqaz's post below. I thought it was more simple than that and it was only the position of the butterfly per throttle position.

10 hours ago, muziqaz said:

Boost gauge is in by default on 2015+ STIs. And in "I" mode it peaks at 0.96, while in S# at 1.10 with traction control on. I suppose 1.20 would be possible with traction control off and not interfering ;)

Yeap - that proves that boost is impacted by the mode position. Good test done chap!

• Like 1

you flash people you :wink:

if it was me and the engine was out of Subaru warranty I would consider an upgrade similar to the 330s models - freer flowing backbox / exhaust, panel filter and a map from someone like ECUTEK giving a few more ponies plus flat foot shifting, launch control and antilag.

The reamp will sort any potential fuelling issues on the standard map also as it will be tailored to your motor specifically

I might look at a remap. Not really for the ponies - just to get it all above board. As you say, it would sort out the fueling.

Hmmmm........I don't know who the resident or respected mapper on here is and who you gang all like or use. But I used Bob Rawle a few times in the past. 

• Like 1

Best oil around at the minute is millers nano drive in tests its proven to give a few extra ponies due to less drag have a google i was impressed and have started using it 😊also used Shell helix which i think engine sounded the quitest from cold on and fuchs are also top notch ...i think most people use 5/40 oil as 30 goes a bit thin in summer okay for winter though.😎

I have not heard anything negative about Bob Rawle over the last few years, as I understand it though he is busy so you may have to wait for a map although I know he did attend specific Dyno days set up purely so he could map a group of cars

Not that I don't like the new impreza as I do I like the way they look, but I do like to just be able to jump in my car start her up and drive and when I put my foot down I get the full power the map has been set to and not need to worry about any modes its in

3 hours ago, Phillip1993 said:

Not that I don't like the new impreza as I do I like the way they look, but I do like to just be able to jump in my car start her up and drive and when I put my foot down I get the full power the map has been set to and not need to worry about any modes its in

Yes, but the thing these days is that versatile cars are the key. If you produce a car which is always at peak boost or something similar, noone will buy it. Clicking the button to switch the mode is extremely easy in Subaru, and many of us are daily driving them beasts, and in London for example I would shoot myself in traffic in S# mode with traction off.  ;) At least STI is not like some other cars where you need to hack it in order to switch it to sports mode ;)