Blobeye Speaker upgrade

bree9482

Evening guys,

Done a lot of reading on the subject of speaker upgrades...

The reason being, l think Santa may have a double din touchscreen head unit in his sack for me...:biggrin:

So i know my model has 6 1/2" front and 4" rear, I know that aparently its a very shallow gap...

Now here is where im getting confused...

I am reading different stories about needing and not needing a mounting bracket, some are 1" some are 1/2", having never fitted speaker before l can not imagine why...?

Again from what im reading, its to do with the window, surely if you add 1" to the overall size of the speaker that would be worse...?

Secondly, can anyone recomend speakers, nothing too fancy or expensive, just a nice sound...

Also if l need adapters, what size and where to buy from..

Thanks in advance guys..

Brendan

I bought a set of Edge speakers which came with brackets and wire adapters... pretty decent but need a sub since they are 3 way so bass isn't their strong point. The bracket holes don't line up properly but nothing a drill can't sort...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-1993-2007-EDGE-13cm-300-Watts-4-Way-Front-Door-Car-Speakers-Kit-/262572428661?hash=item3d22894d75:g:GjMAAOSwV0RXq5nN

IMG_20160209_114558.jpg

IMG_20160209_115136.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sandals said:

I bought a set of Edge speakers which came with brackets and wire adapters... pretty decent but need a sub since they are 3 way so bass isn't their strong point. The bracket holes don't line up properly but nothing a drill can't sort...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-1993-2007-EDGE-13cm-300-Watts-4-Way-Front-Door-Car-Speakers-Kit-/262572428661?hash=item3d22894d75:g:GjMAAOSwV0RXq5nN

IMG_20160209_114558.jpg

IMG_20160209_115136.jpg

Thats awesome buddy, exactly what l was looking for...!!!

So from the pics you just drilled 3 new holes not far from the original holes then speakers straight into adapters...?

No window issues...?

Are you running them off stock head unit and that is why you need an amp...?

Thanks buddy :)

Brendan

No problem mate!

Running a Kenwood double din unit so no amp... no issues with the windows either

Yeh just had to drill 3 holes a little closer in from the original holes in the brackets for everything to line up. Just used the old speaker holes as a template

• Like 1

The front in mine sound really tinny with little/no bass yet when you turn them up the bass is quite good.

The rears just sound awful to be honest but gives me an excuse to listen to the engine note instead.

Not sure what is fitted speaker wise but its on standard headunit so will need to upgrade everything when I do. Would be good to hear your feedback on the Alpine's though once fitted.

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

Will do Dave...!

Looking forward to getting it all installed..

I called a place today to ask how much for fitting as it would save me time ect...  £170 lolol

Actually burst out laughing at him :laugh:

I think ill just brave the cold and dark and do them...

Brendan

59 minutes ago, bree9482 said:

Will do Dave...!

Looking forward to getting it all installed..

I called a place today to ask how much for fitting as it would save me time ect...  £170 lolol

Actually burst out laughing at him :laugh:

I think ill just brave the cold and dark and do them...

Brendan

Mate, it's dead easy to do! I'm just over the water from Edinburgh so if you need a hand, give me a shout!

• Like 1

Evening guys,

Done a lot of reading on the subject of speaker upgrades...

The reason being, l think Santa may have a double din touchscreen head unit in his sack for me...biggrin.png

So i know my model has 6 1/2" front and 4" rear, I know that aparently its a very shallow gap...

Now here is where im getting confused...

I am reading different stories about needing and not needing a mounting bracket, some are 1" some are 1/2", having never fitted speaker before l can not imagine why...?

Again from what im reading, its to do with the window, surely if you add 1" to the overall size of the speaker that would be worse...?

Secondly, can anyone recomend speakers, nothing too fancy or expensive, just a nice sound...

Also if l need adapters, what size and where to buy from..

Thanks in advance guys..

Brendan

I went for the Edge ED306 with have separate tweeters and an Alpine double dip head unit. I did have to buy a spacer for the speakers. The problem is they are deeper front to back than the originals. So when you wind the window down, it hits the speaker. I went for a half inch spacer from eBay which brings the speaker forward enough for the window to miss the speaker. Door card still fits fine. I'd say these speakers sound a bit better than standard. The head unit is definitely better than standard.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info linx...

i have ordered a set of alpine spg-13c2

look like good reviews and l have also ordered spacers and speaker connectors from eBay.. 

should be here Monday, will get them fitted prior to santa brining my head unit...

looking forward to it.... 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rkidder said:

Had the speaker fitted today they sound great, although they do lack a bit of bass so it looks like I'm going to have to go down the sub route. Any recommendations. 

Are you happy to lose a bit of boot space or would rather go with an under seat one?

I got a 2nd hand Vibe 12" bad boy off eBay for 30 quid... wiring kit was almost as expensive! Sounds great tho... and I listen to rock/heavy metal

8 minutes ago, Linx said:

How easy is it to wire in a boot based sub?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Not difficult at all... very easy to hide the wires along the inside underneath the plastic on the inside of the doors. Only tricky bit is finding a grommet to cut through to feed the power cable through the firewall.

I have my power cable running down my drivers side and the cables to the headunit run down the passenger side as it's easy to feed them in behind the dash to get to the head unit

• Like 1

I have similar alpine speakers fitted and they are a gud unit. I've also put a sub in the boot find it a must with the heavy/rock music I like to drive to. Wiring is piece of cake just takes a bit of time finding a good place to come through the firewall as previously said. I put an inline fuse at the Battery end and a fused junction box in the boot as didn't think it a good idea to have an unprotected live cable running the length of the car. Plenty room down the sides to run all the cables. Door cards are easy to remove just take your time so you don't damage anything. Good luck with the install let us know how it goes and sounds. 

7 minutes ago, Fastboy67 said:

I have similar alpine speakers fitted and they are a gud unit. I've also put a sub in the boot find it a must with the heavy/rock music I like to drive to. Wiring is piece of cake just takes a bit of time finding a good place to come through the firewall as previously said. I put an inline fuse at the battery end and a fused junction box in the boot as didn't think it a good idea to have an unprotected live cable running the length of the car. Plenty room down the sides to run all the cables. Door cards are easy to remove just take your time so you don't damage anything. Good luck with the install let us know how it goes and sounds. 

Just finished the install there...

very happy with the results, need to get rear speakers now and possible a sub and amp, it's all still running off the std head unit so I'm expecting improvements when l get the pioneer head unit in...

was not difficult at all, however I done the intercooler Y pipe first and the kit that was sent was no where near fitting, so l had to modify that 😡😡, all in all a good day for the car 😊