Brake Stopper / Master Cylinder Brace

nidgep

hi

Just joined to 'club', this is my first post :-)
Bought a 2004 Forester 2.5 XT SG9 back in November, got various jobs done on the car, but one thing that's nagging me is the brake pedal feel.

Have read on here and elsewhere that fitting a brake stopper can make a big difference to the pedal feel.
Firstly apologies - I know that this has been asked many times and have read installation guides and info already on this site but still unsure of where to get one from.

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to source one for my car, but not having much luck.
The only one I seem to be able to find is the CDF racing one but I'm not sure if it will fit - Subaru classic brake stopper

I don't want to have to do any drilling and most look like they match up to existing mounting locations anyway.

Would someone lindly provide actual links to brake stopper products that will fit my car please?

Cheers

Hello & welcome,

I got one for a 'classic' impreza so working along the lines of the same year impreza stuff crossing over I'd hazard a guess you'd need a new age impreza one, how ever I'm sure I've seen someone with a fsti who's on stopper no3 as the previous two haven't been correct,

I got a tegiwa branded one, for about 35notes.almost half the price of the cusco and cdf ones and looks identical to the other brands

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers guys - thanks for the quick replies.

Tegiwa Imports are only a few miles away from me so will give them a call - if you guys think it will fit.

Attached the best pic I have at the moment.

Thanks Tidgy - Brake lines are also on the cards any recommendation? Goodridge /  Hel /  ??

Look forward to your replies.

IMG_2732.JPG

Called Tegiwa this morning, chap I spoke to wasn't convinced that they have one to fit my car and said he's going to call other suppliers and get back to me - which seems a bit odd.

Anyone have info on other manufacturers?

Still looking for ones of these if anyone can help.

Contacted CDF racing on eBay who have a new age bracket for sale which they say will fit  - it looks the same as those for sale on their own site but is apparently a one piece job.

That doesn't seem right so haven't bought it -based on the fact that a single bracket bolted to the suspension turret wouldn't seem to have the same strength as the 2 piece stopper and would seem to put more stress on the suspension turrent when compare to the 2 piece stopper of the same style.

The "one piece" bracket looks exactly like this one but without the smaller bracket

Here's a photo on Google of what the single piece looks like on eBay

Any other suggestions greatly welcomed

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 5:36 PM, stants said:

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/subaru/newage-impreza/brakes/tegiwa-brake-stopper-subaru-impreza-gdb-01-07.html

Can you take a pic of your brake servo/master cylinder area (ooh errr) may be able to give us a few clues to weather the link above will work

Is this one to fit SF5 models??? Thanks.

Nidgep - did you buy one in the end?

Sorry, no haven't got around to getting the Tegiwa brake stopper. (hopefully in next few weeks when I return to looking at improving the brakes again)

Attached photos of master cylinder though :-)

20170413_080403.jpg

20170413_080415.jpg

On 1/5/2017 at 4:10 PM, nidgep said:

Cheers guys - thanks for the quick replies.

Tegiwa Imports are only a few miles away from me so will give them a call - if you guys think it will fit.

Attached the best pic I have at the moment.

Thanks Tidgy - Brake lines are also on the cards any recommendation? Goodridge /  Hel /  ??

Look forward to your replies.

IMG_2732.JPG

looking at your picture i would say stants is right the new age impreza bracket will fit yours as it exact same layout as my old blob wrx,only picture i have of it,front mount intercooler pipe is a bit in way but you can see the strut towers are the same.

pipes.thumb.jpg.a9abd16256e661f180351c85a05272ef.jpg

• Like 1

What's happened to your Forester then?

Do you break the whole car? PM me the price for the brake stopper (if that would fit SF5) and I'm not sure if the 4 pots will fit under my wheels, but feel free to drop a PM.

Heads gone so it's being stripped, 😓 sorry the shoppers already been sold and someone's provisionally bought the 4pots, they won't fit under 16" I do have set of 17" with virtually new tyres on, if the brakes don't go you have 1st refusal if you like ?

Well, 17 is too much for me. I've read that 4 pot fits even under 15 inch, it's all depends on the off-set apparently. But I'm not sure about which off-set I need for the 4 POT.

How come the heads gone??? What's the mileage? Do you have any pics of the interior please? and you can PM the engine bay pics if you don't mind of course! Thanks a lot.

For some reason it won't let me pm pics ? Some classic 16" fit but the wheel looks a bit daft on ours, they may fit with a spacer on do you have Jdm turbo wheels or the multi spoke bbs?

Heads probably gone due to age & being run with a bit more boost nearly 180k and 20 years old so can't complain, what's your email ? I'll pop one across

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a Tegiwa new age Impreza brake stopper today. Looks like it won't fit. The small support bracket looks like it fits to 2 studs on the suspension housing which are missing on my car. I can see exactly where they would be but would mean drilling holes which I want to avoid. The main bracket holes also look out of line. Will take pics and post up.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taken photos.

Looking again at the 2 mounting lug location, it looks like they are actually holes that are blanked off with some kind of seam sealer.
If that's the case then maybe the brake stopper will fit....just need to double check the main bracket mounts.
Will take some more photos when I get around to attempting to fit it...

pic-03.jpg

pic-01.jpg

pic-02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stants - you were correct - the holes have a nut welded to the inside of the inner wing. (M6)

The Tegiwa brake stopper (New Age Subaru Impreza) is now fitted.

A few things I noted:

• The length of the original bolts is too short to use with the bracket.
    • Luckily you get some in the kit - sadly they are the same length as the original (20mm x M6)!!
      • so bought some new flange headed M6 x 25mm bolts
  • The rubber mounts contain a metal insert.
    • The bolts in the bracket fit through the metal insert which is designed to keep the bracket mounting rubber from being crushed.
      • Sadly, the insert will fit through the mounting holes in the bracket so would allow the rubber mount to be squashed.
        • Fitted a 6mm penny washers between the brake stopper bracket and the rubber mount. (top and bottom).
        • This prevented the metal insert from travelling too far and made for a more secure fit
  • The M8 cheese head hex bolt was too long for my car and fouled the wiring harness to the engine.
    • Cut 10mm off the bolt which made for a much better fit.
  • Not sure how much it matters but my car has a small black earth wire under the bottom bracket fixing which connects to the back of the engine.
    • After fitting, I made sure that there was still earth continuity between the earth wire and the engine/chassis..

First impression? I can tell the difference - the brake pedal feel is better - the braking performance remains the same.

Worthwhile? I think so. 

BrakeStopper_01.jpg

BrakeStopper_02.jpg

• Like 2