Hi. Just joined, some questions......

Nails

Hi All,

I will be totally honest, I am a bit of a honda fanboy and am in the process of trying to source a Honda Integra Type R (DC5). I drove one the other day and it did not quite live up to my expectations, it may have been the example I drove that was at fault, so I have not given up on the idea as such.

However, the other day it occurred to me I had never really considered a Subaru Impreza STI. I drove a 2002 WRX once, I test drove an Accord Type R the same day and in my opinion the Accord was far superior in every way so I bought one of those and never looked back. 

The STI appeals to me as it is in a different league performance wise.

One of my main questions for you guys is that, is a 10-15 year old STI going to be a reliable car? I will be using it as a daily, but have access to my girlfriends car for days where I don't fancy taking it to work. I reckon I will do 8-10k miles a year. 

I don't know much about Impreza's really so any advice would be welcome. My budget is around £9.5k.

Thanks 

Wotcha and welcome - like any performance motor, look after it with regular servicing, warm up an cool down cycles etc and it will be reliable.

Your budget will get you a variety of motors, widetrack blobeye sti, nice hawk STI, a sharkeye STI hatch (not quite as focussed a drive as standard but with a different steering rack and some chassis tweaks it sorts it right out) or a very tidy classic - this is a very focussed tool

I suggest you take a drive in each and see which suits your driving style.

Buyers guide - what to look for

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Welcome.

You looking for raw performance or performance with some refinement?

Good question. Performance with some refinement sounds better for a daily, but I am used to driving mildly modified cars with lowered suspension etc.

1 minute ago, Tidgy said:

Classic is raw performance, where as new age is a tad more refined. how many miles a day do you do? what sort of driving, back roads/motorways?

Commute is about 20 miles each way, 7 miles motorway, with the rest A & B roads. I would probably only use it 3 or 4 days a week for work and at the weekend. I reckon 10,000 miles a year. 

I have seen a couple of examples that look quite nice:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/subaru-impreza-41t-wrx-sti-type-uk----2005/6852526

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/wrx-sti-jdm-twin-scroll/5984572

The steering rack on the JDM model is an improvement over UK however equal length headers mean less of a distinctive rumble - not the end of the world but both models will be very usable every day motors

Well, the Subaru has more power than a DC5 obviously. The both handle really well, and the STi is a actual performance car, more so than the Type R's. They're different in each respect, but the general characteristics are the same. They both handle well, etc. I was a bit like you and as a ex Honda person, I can honestly say that I love my hawkeye STi, and mines pretty much stock. I don't think they're as bullet proof as Honda's engine wise, but if you look after them then they should be alright. If you're worried about the engine, then definitely go for a 2L blob and not the 2.5 hawk which is known to have more issues. You've got a decent budget so you could get something like a blob STi and then set it up on some nice coilovers if it doesn't have them already and get a tune. JM Imports have a 55 plate JDM STi in white at the moment with a canny few mods done to it already, but it's a bit more expensive at £12k asking price (it's white and lovely looking, seen it first hand.)

Thanks for all the responses guys, my budget is 9.5k but that will rise slightly month on month. It looks like a UK car might be my best bet, especially as apparently you lose some of the noise with the JDM cars. Next stage is to try and drive one to see if I like them enough to buy one!

Next stage is to try and drive one to see if I like them enough to buy one!

Wrong thing to ask here lol. You'll love one, very addictive. That sort of money would get you a nice blob sti. Good luck in your search

Haha, you'll really like it compared to a Honda. Loads more torque and they handle very well. You'll love it. I fell in love and wanted mine straight after test driving, but I had to convince my wife first haha! Definitely stick with a STi or Spec D or something with that for price range, few extra performance goodies 😉 You could get a Blob or Hawk for that price fairly easily. Enjoy the hunt!