Just Bought a Forester-BRILLIANT!

Andrew Hutchings

Hi all! Today I bought my first Subaru, a 2010 Forester, and I'm seriously impressed with it! just registered on the forum to obtain advice as and when I might need it. The dealer in Aylesbury has been very helpful with loads of questions I asked during the test drive but I expect I'll have a few more over time!

It's a small country but your forester can cover all of it all year round :-)

I'm few miles from dartmoor national park ...
You in barnet as in north london, not really 4wd fozzy country ...

Picked it up this morning from the dealers in Aylesbury; very impressed with the whole experience of buying the car! Everything was explained to me, from soup to nuts and they'd also done a full service & given the car a new M.O.T.! Drove back to north London listening to the weather forecasts and hoping to hear of some snow. It's cold enough here for it.... Here's hoping I can Christen my Subaru this weekend!

Blimey, we woke up to SNOW in north London this morning! Not seriously thick-in fact it's barely a covering here in Barnet-but it makes the idea of driving the Subaru even MORE fun! It's as if God's decided my purchase was a good thing and He's giving me a chance to try it out!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate economy is more often affected by driving style but as a guide what kind of MPG should I expect to obtain from my Forester? The on board indicator fluctuates from 4 to 99.9, so probably isn't much use and I also realise that occasionally "flooring it" is likely to play havoc with any attempt to drive economically!

Sheit! My last car was a 2 litre Citroën Xantia automatic and that returned 35-36 MPG on a run (AND it had 200+K miles on the clock!) 

I'll have to make a point of only using it on long runs and using the wife's Skoda Fabia for the local stuff! The problem is that the Scoobie's such FUN to drive......

more likely 25mpg slugging about town but the auto and wrong driving style = poor mpg figures .

on longer runs 35+ is easy but getting 28/29 short trips is about best can expect if trying and ideally with a manual box .

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done the first full to full mileage, to calculate the M.P.G. and I'm getting 30.2, on just over 300 miles of mixed driving, although that did include 2 work runs of 25 miles each way (50 miles per day x 2 = 100 miles) on the M25/M1 at a steady 60-70. One of the more quirky things I noticed was the MPG indicator gave a better (that is a higher MPG) reading at 70 MPH than at 60! I'm still mightily pleased with the car and am not driving it slowly in any way! I've been driving with the gear selector in "D" only throughout all my driving so far.

probably the only disadvantage to permanent 4x4 is the mpg...any conventional equivalent fwd or rwd will be better...

hence why a lot of manufacturers offer fwd with an option button  to kick in 4x4 if the going gets rough... :smile:

p.s. using v-power Shell or equiv' will add approx 2/3 mpg and make it run cleaner/smoother...worth the extra few pence imo...

• 3 weeks later...

My MPG's improving! The Forester's now returning 34.2 miles per gallon, which I reckon is pretty good! I'm not consciously driving slowly or unnecessarily carefully-in fact, I've noticed the instantaneous MPG is lower at 70 MPH then it is at 60 MPH! Anyway, the car's behaving faultlessly & this greater economy is another "plus" for the Forester!

Hi, I am new to this forum as of today. My 2017 XT does mostly short runs, all week only 1 mile to work and 1 mile home, so not good for fuel economy, yet still the average over 6000 miles has been 26.1 which quite frankly is OK in my book. Its as good on fuel as any other car I have had in 40 years  so I can't grumble, but the performance is something else!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2018 at 8:20 PM, Andrew Hutchings said:

My MPG's improving! The Forester's now returning 34.2 miles per gallon, which I reckon is pretty good! I'm not consciously driving slowly or unnecessarily carefully-in fact, I've noticed the instantaneous MPG is lower at 70 MPH then it is at 60 MPH! Anyway, the car's behaving faultlessly & this greater economy is another "plus" for the Forester!

Thats a really good MPG considering what it is! 

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : sales@tmsmotorsport.co.uk

whatsapp-25px.png
WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – AP Racing – BUY ONLINE

-   We ship worldwide to your door  -

-  Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza  - Honda S2000 -

Thanks! We've just returned from Derbyshire, where we attended a weekend Daf Owners Club meeting, which is our classic car interest (that's the "rubber band" cars of the 1960s & 70s, NOT the 44 tonne trucks-although it's the same company!) I thought I'd see if motorway running made the car more economical and I've returned 36.9 mpg running from Bakewell in Derbyshire to Sterling Corner, north London, covering 156 miles in just over 3 hours. As far as I'm concerned these rumours of Subaru's poor economy are entirely down to driving style! GO SCOOBIE, GO!