Starting the car and driving it right away?

Hi guys!

Quick question, since I do it most of the times, I usually start the car and drive it right away - Not hard at all, around 2k rpm to 3k rpm and slowly - but where I park the car there is an uphill and I could definetly feel that the car was completly lacking of power (since i just turned it on and its cold, which is comprehensive...), same the other day, I started the car and inmediatly there was a long uphill, so again, 2-3k rpm maximum and 40 - 50 kph maximum (since it was cold there was literally no chance to go faster even if i wanted to...)

Does this damages the engine? as far as i know the damage is caused when the people revs the car to higher rpm when its still cold... but driving it right away to 2k - 3k rpm is also bad?

Thanks! Cheers,

Martin

It's always good to stay off boost when the engine's cold and keep the revs low if possible but it's not so important to keep the revs low .

if going up a incline when cold, I'd say you'd probably be better off bringing the revs up a bit by holding it in gear at a lower throttle position . Than sitting at 3k with over half throttle, as at 3k with half throttle most scoobs will trying to make more boost

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, now a days i just wait 2 or 3 mins, even if is still low after that time because is better than from 0 :D and i saw some positive results, also at the small uphill from the -2 to the -1 floor i take a little bit of speed xD

What I find it a little bit strange is that... could it be that the 10w60 that the previous owner put on it make the engine somehow "slower"?

• 2 weeks later...

I always wait for a few minutes before I drive from cold especially when it is in minus figures, and then I take it steady until she is up to temp. Pulling ofs straight after starting cannot do any car any good. To give you an idea my coolant got down to -2 C after sitting overnight when it was -4 C last month. Only takes a couple of minutes to get 40C on fast idle.