Outback 3.0L road tax

Roger-M

Hello,

I would like to up engine size from my present 2.5L Outback to the lovely 3.0L V6, but am put off by the exceptionally high road tax of £520. Could anyone tell me when this amount was first levied on the 3 litre.  My present 2.5 Outback is on a 06 plate (for which I pay £305), but I would consider going older than that for a 3 litre if it was not too much older and, obviously, was a car in good condition.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Roger-Marie.

Tax is based on emissions. This changed in April 2006 I believe. I have 07 WRX which is £500+ to tax but same car with 06 plate would be £300 around.

If you break it down per mile it not much really. Makes me feel better anyway.

If you buy a higher milage older car the extra  £200 could be eaten up by parts easily as they are potentially more worn I guess. However you look at it road tax hurts especially with the state of the roads these days.

Hello Siluro,

Thanks for the info.  However, someone on eBay is selling an Outback 3.0Rn, first registered 15/3/06, and informs me that he is paying the £500+.  A pity, as I was interested up until then!

Northampton is where I was born and brought up.  My family still live there.  It has certainly changed since I left just over 40 years ago.  I always loved, and still do, the lovely villages in their natural stone.  We live in Lincolnshire now, and that is beautiful and fascinating county!

Regards.  Roger-M.

• 5 months later...

As above, this same for the 2.5XT.

Take your time buying a tidy well maintained 05 car and you laughing

£225 a year saved just because car few months newer is worth it imo.

I actually have 2 foresters 1999 & 2000 and they 255 a year which enough imo for driving on pot hole gravel tracks they call public roads ...