XV Remap advice anyone?

Dogconker

Hi, 

so my manufacturers warranty runs out at the end of the year, and I am considering a remap for towing etc to unleash a few more of the restrained horses that all UK cars have.

I currently have an XV 2.0D SE (Euro 5 diesel) which has been fully maintained by local dealer.

I’m looking for do’s and don’ts, best places, things to look out for etc, any advice welcome.

thanks 

DC

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dogconker,

I've had my XV remapped for about 6,000 miles now, got it done through Quantum tuning. (this is on my 2011 plate)
There map is a generic map, so if the car is standard it will probably be OK.

I really wanted to get mine done by a professional, like Litchfield motors in Gloucester, but coming from Scotland made it unrealistic. (Litchfield used to offer diesel remapping on their website, but it has since been updated). These guys look to be a little closer to you than to me, so might be worth speaking to them?

As for the Quantum map, it was cheap, I think i got it on a deal and it cost somewhere around £250/£300
Its faster, that's for sure, my mpg has increased slightly, i wouldn't say 10% but maybe 5% (now averaging about 47.4mpg) mainly 60-70mph A-roads, with a little bit of town driving.

Driving seems a bit more like it should, its a normal diesel now... if that makes sense, you can pull from lower down the rev range, potter around town in 4th etc.
I've not had it dyno tested, so I cannot say if the claims of 180bhp are true or not.

As for do's and Dont's.

I try to be sympathetic to the engine, and not race it before its warmed up, and give it a mile or so being gentle to cool down before shutting down.
Also having read every horror story under the sun regarding the early generation diesel crankshaft failures (although I've been told by a Subaru mechanic that they have had zero crankshaft failures in the revised engine), i tend to not give it full throttle until above 2,000 rpm. 
I've also started to do intermediate oil changes between services ~ 6,000ish miles. probably overkill, but it helps me sleep at night.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll see if I can help.

1 hour ago, Swayze88 said:

Hey Dogconker,

I've had my XV remapped for about 6,000 miles now, got it done through Quantum tuning. (this is on my 2011 plate)
There map is a generic map, so if the car is standard it will probably be OK.

I really wanted to get mine done by a professional, like Litchfield motors in Gloucester, but coming from Scotland made it unrealistic. (Litchfield used to offer diesel remapping on their website, but it has since been updated). These guys look to be a little closer to you than to me, so might be worth speaking to them?

As for the Quantum map, it was cheap, I think i got it on a deal and it cost somewhere around £250/£300
Its faster, that's for sure, my mpg has increased slightly, i wouldn't say 10% but maybe 5% (now averaging about 47.4mpg) mainly 60-70mph A-roads, with a little bit of town driving.

Driving seems a bit more like it should, its a normal diesel now... if that makes sense, you can pull from lower down the rev range, potter around town in 4th etc.
I've not had it dyno tested, so I cannot say if the claims of 180bhp are true or not.

As for do's and Dont's.

I try to be sympathetic to the engine, and not race it before its warmed up, and give it a mile or so being gentle to cool down before shutting down.
Also having read every horror story under the sun regarding the early generation diesel crankshaft failures (although I've been told by a Subaru mechanic that they have had zero crankshaft failures in the revised engine), i tend to not give it full throttle until above 2,000 rpm. 
I've also started to do intermediate oil changes between services ~ 6,000ish miles. probably overkill, but it helps me sleep at night.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks for this, I’’m after a totque remap over performance, mine pulls like train anyway, but the extra torque when towing would be handy. 

My diesel drives more like a petrol (apart from the low end torque) in that it’ll pull fairly consistently between 1600 and 4500 rpm. I always let it warm up fully before getting the turbo fired up, I have a 2014 Euro 5 engine in mine, the only issue I’ve had with it was the injectors which it’s going back in for again on Thursday for yet another relearn on the injectors and fuel pump., apparently it’s having 5-6 relearns according to subaru this will resolve the injector issue.

incidentally when I asked for dos amd don’ts I actually meant in relation to remaps.   

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just had my 2014 Subaru XV 2.0D SE remapped, and oh what a difference.

Before the car hated being run at low revs in any gear, always had to change down, now it's smooth as silk, even at 20mph in 3rd (which it used to judder at before)

Had a flat spot around 2000rpm with the turbo kicking in before, it's gone now.

3rd and 4th gear with the extra 41 bhp and 75lb torque is amazing, just flies through the revs now and mpg are around 2 -3 mpg better.

Highly recommend it if your XV is out of warranty.

Local guy did mine, and he had an offer on, so only £100. He can only do the diesel as petrols need a rolling road to adjust them properly, but the extra torque will be ideal for towing a caravan.

• Like 1