Tribeca tyre sizes

Brom

Hi there,

Has anyone run their Tribeca on a different tyre size to the standard 255/55/18?

I was considering running 255/45/18 on my Tribeca when I change all 4 tyres shortly, to achieve a more 'planted' ride, as the car seems to 'wallow' to a degree,

but I guess that's due to the size and weight of the car, and the 55 profile tyres.

PS; does anyone know what size the tyre is on the space saver wheel for the Tribeca?

Any suggestions or useful comments are appreciated :wheelchair:

Hi mate I would be cautious about going down to a 45 from a 55 the ride you are not happy with could be down to the suspension not the tyres I would see if you could drive another tribeca and see if that does the same the 45 profile could look a bit small in the arches maybe a 50 would be a compromise hope this helps 

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments, they're appreciated.

I take the point Andyscooby it may be the suspension being a possible cause of the ride issue, and I was wondering about the rolling circumference of the tyres if I dropped to a 45 profile, and issues with transmission winding up.

I don't really want to go to the cost of buying 19" wheels and 4 x new tyres, so for the time being I think on reflection i'll stick with the standard 18" wheels,and get the suspension checked anyway for peace of mind.

PS;If anyone knows of a Tribeca being scrapped I could do with the drivers side main power window console switch unit, or the drivers door card

My Tribeca is the same colour as yours I think Chiffchaff, silver grey paint, with grey leather seats and door panels.

Cheers guys.

Hi Brom

Watched with interest your post re: tyre sizes.

I am near Bingham, Notts if you want to compare handling some time !

I am generally unhappy with the roll/handling issues on my Tribeca and wondered if better shocks are perhaps the answer ??  Anyone have thoughts in this direction?

Love the car otherwise and as you say, the size/weight will have a massive effect so don't want to overstate the problem.  I used to have Impreza's so have been spoilt in the past.

Cheers guys

• Like 1

I have 2006 Tribeca and just replaced the tyres with a winter set.  2255 55 R18.   I have also purchased a set of Tribeca 19" alloys and intend to fit these with summer tyres size 255mm x50, R19

Hi Brom,

I picked my brand new set of 19"  Tribeca wheels on eBay for £240 this is about the price of a single wheel

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

When I got the Tribeca, there were 3 x G/Years with 5mm tread on,and 1 x Nankang SP-5 Surpax with 7mm tread, which made me feel really uneasy about 3 tyres of 1 type and an odd tyre,plus the different mm between them.

As per my original thread,I had the suspension checked to rule out any issues, had it done at 'Farmers Subaru' in Matlock, which is an independent Subaru dealer, and found no issues.

I can recommend them as a service centre, as I've previously had a 2006 3.0 Spec B and a Forester 2.5 XTEN serviced there, with reasonable costs, and a courtesy car available,(although the courtesy car is usually an older type Subaru, not a 1/2 yr old model,but it was a set of wheels and just had to replace the petrol used).

Bearing in mind my original  thread about the handling,after some thought I decided to go for 3 x more Nankang SP-5 Surpax, (which were fitted last week,bought from Roundtrip Tyres at £67.79 each inc delivery),couldn't beat that deal anywhere on the internet to be honest.

Since the I've been running all 4 tyres of the same type, i have found the car feels and appears to ride better, although that may be in part due to the fact I've had the car about 3 months now,so possibly have just got used to the feel of the car, in comparison to my last Legacy 3.0r Spec B, which of course is a completely different animal.

I love the Tribeca,it is my 2nd one anyhow,so for now I don't want to have the cost of buying a second set of wheels and tyres.

I'm trying to find a suitable spare instead of the space saver with the car, which is a 165/80/17, but has a smaller rolling circumference (not ideal as we all know on a Subaru), and looking for a suitable alternate wheel with correct 114.3 stud PDC and 55 offset,if anyone has a suggestions?

PS;

The 3 x Goodyears I took off the Tribeca are in my garage,( 255/55/18 with 5mm tread ), only took off to have the other 3 Nankangs fitted.

If anyone needs these tyres, or even just a couple of them if the tread mm is suitable, i'm happy to sell for reasonable price based on them being G/Years,  £20 each bearing in mind you would need to collect, due to cost of sending through post or courier.

PM me if anyone is interested anyhow....

Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:12 PM, Chiffchaff said:

I have 2006 Tribeca and just replaced the tyres with a winter set.  2255 55 R18.   I have also purchased a set of Tribeca 19" alloys and intend to fit these with summer tyres size 255mm x50, R19

Hi Brom,

I picked my brand new set of 19"  Tribeca wheels on eBay for £240 this is about the price of a single wheel

Hi, Have just fitted the new tyre size with 19 inch rims, tyre size 255x 50 not driven much yet but seems OK possibly a bit more responsive.

IMG_1749.JPG