Loud when hitting boost

CRG77

Hi All,

It has been a while since I have been on the forums. I finally decided to upgrade from 2008 impreza RX to a 2011 WRX STI (Saloon). Anyway eventually I upgraded the exhaust and started to notice a loud whine noise when hitting boost. 

It has been to a local garage and they couldn't find any exhaust or boost leaks. The garage said that they think it is just turbo spool noise resonating through the exhaust but I am just not sure. It sounds louder than what I would expect turbo noise to be. Does anyone have any ideas what could be making the noise?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Changing the exhaust will change how it sounds not just the volume level, so it Sounds like your just getting more noise from the turbo.

If its been checked out then I would assume that's what it is and just keep on ear on it to see if it changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tidgy said:

Changing the exhaust will change how it sounds not just the volume level, so it Sounds like your just getting more noise from the turbo.

If its been checked out then I would assume that's what it is and just keep on ear on it to see if it changes.

Yeah that makes sense. I will try and get a video of it later so you can hear it. 

Just want to make sure that it's nothing serious before I start investing in more upgrades :)

3 hours ago, CRG77 said:

Yeah that makes sense. I will try and get a video of it later so you can hear it. 

Just want to make sure that it's nothing serious before I start investing in more upgrades 🙂

its alwyas hard to tell on vids, but it doent sound too much to worry about

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tidgy said:

its alwyas hard to tell on vids, but it doent sound too much to worry about

I will upload the video anyway just so you can get an idea. Whats the best way to do that? There doesn't seem to be an option to upload on here.

It doesn't affect the performance so I am not to worried just trying to figure out why it makes the noise. 

12 hours ago, mattiekane said:

do you by and chance have a bung(s?) for the exhaust, if so might be worth fitting to see if there is any difference?
What have you upgraded the exhaust to?

I don't have any bungs for the exhaust. At the moment I just have a rear muffler delete with the stock mid pipe. Thinking of going single exit at some point in the future but I am not sure.

So, the main reason for an exhaust upgrade, other than releasing the awesome Subaru sound, is to give the engine better breathing, the faster you can remove exhaust gasses the faster you can get clean air in.
Removing the rear silencers create a less restrictive flow and changes the characteristics of the exhaust. So you are going to experience new noises from it like turbo spool due to the fact its not been muffled by the exhaust anymore, and not just the Subaru rumble.

As Tidgy said, if it's been checked over and there is nothing leaking/split, then this is just part of the characteristic of the altered exhaust, if you change the mid pipe you will more than likely find it will change again.

Loud pipes save lives

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattiekane said:

So, the main reason for an exhaust upgrade, other than releasing the awesome Subaru sound, is to give the engine better breathing, the faster you can remove exhaust gasses the faster you can get clean air in.
Removing the rear silencers create a less restrictive flow and changes the characteristics of the exhaust. So you are going to experience new noises from it like turbo spool due to the fact its not been muffled by the exhaust anymore, and not just the Subaru rumble.

As Tidgy said, if it's been checked over and there is nothing leaking/split, then this is just part of the characteristic of the altered exhaust, if you change the mid pipe you will more than likely find it will change again.

Loud pipes save lives

Yeah the stock exhaust on the 2011 STI does not sound great. Probably due the the mufflers being HUGE. I really like the tone of the exhaust now but as I said in the last comment I may upgrade the exhaust soon anyway, so it will sound different again. Have other upgrades in mind before then anyway.

I appreciate all of the help so far :) I have linked the video of the whine noise below. https://youtu.be/Ia7l3vinoEw