Gearbox swarf in Oil

Siluro

I took my 42K mile 2007 Hawkeye WRX for MOT today and it failed on a split gaiter. Small local garage used to be called Alfatech in Northampton. When the took driveshaft out they said they needed to drain the gearbox oil. On doing so they said they found swarf. See picture of said oil. The car does not make any sound and drives as new nearly. Full service history and had a full service 2015 with the gearbox oil being changed then. Only 12K easy miles since then. Anyones thoughts and what would it cost to rebuild the box etc if needed. He pulled £1100 out of his head which included the clutch.  Any recommendations welcomed. I am going to take it to Subaru for a second opinion after putting a few miles on her as the oil is now fresh. 

20190218_180501.jpg

Can tell nothing from that, pretty normal have a grey powdery paste unless all the oil was that way

Would have see the whole drained oil in person to give you a real worthwhile opinion.
Have they sieved or run magnet through oil and found any bigger metal fragments rather than that pretty normal surface wear paste in the photo ?

If box making no noise and working A1 I wouldn't go jumping the gun but rather drain and check oil again after few thousand miles ...

Thanks

I agree to not jumping the gun and will recheck oil after another few thousand miles.

I think the definition of swarf is used incorrectly by myself and this garage. Thinking about there must be some signs of wear in the form of tiny metal filings in any gearbox oil as you describe as paste. Placing a 5 pence size magnet under the paste you can see the metal filings following the magnetic field. Looks like fur. Surely this is fairly normal and not swarf as the garage has described it? I have not been given any more evidence than this rag and their word on the oil smelling burnt. 

20190218_211008.jpg

20190218_211036.jpg

Looks normal wear debris to me (see it every day on boxes and diffs), on drain plugs with magnets attached you get what on your rag when wipe them clean or stick finger in around casing at drain point .

If oil totally full of metal and got a shiny metal marble streak when stirred then yeh you may got issue.

Very very rare have huge amount metal particle without noise or some usability issue .

Keep an eye on it and if got doubts get advise from trustworthy mechanic and do quality photos of drained oil and filtered debris .

No lumps no problems
Get this at work alot, people jumping to conclusions that things are worn or goosed cos there is a metallic sheen in the oil, the gearbox comprises of 99% metal, if there wasn't some in the oil I'd be worried, as long as it isn't lumps of metal I really wouldn't be too worried

Loud pipes save lives