Subaru overheating problems...

3 hours ago, azer_uk said:

Went out for an hours drive today, both fans are working, car temp fluctuates inbetween the two lines in the middle and the odd time it will go over the line just a smidge into hot, doesn't max out though now.

I know the thought of this sucks but if i were you i wouldn't drive it until you get it inspected for Headgasket. Last thing you want is regular high temperatures it will cause a chain reaction and for a week or so off the road you dont need that headache. 

6 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

I know the thought of this sucks but if i were you i wouldn't drive it until you get it inspected for Headgasket. Last thing you want is regular high temperatures it will cause a chain reaction and for a week or so off the road you dont need that headache. 

yeah i understand the risk, just thought of something else though, i've seen online that the STi's came with 1.3~ bar radicator caps? mine is only a 0.9 bar which could be releasing too much pressure in the coolant system right?

10 hours ago, azer_uk said:

yeah i understand the risk, just thought of something else though, i've seen online that the STi's came with 1.3~ bar radicator caps? mine is only a 0.9 bar which could be releasing too much pressure in the coolant system right?

I would rule out your headgasket first but its entirely up to you. Changing a rad cap isnt gonna cost the earth though so why not, im sure subaru put a 1.3 bar cap for a reason. Hope it works for you mate 🤞

2 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

I would rule out your headgasket first but its entirely up to you. Changing a rad cap isnt gonna cost the earth though so why not, im sure subaru put a 1.3 bar cap for a reason. Hope it works for you mate 🤞

looks to have done the trick :cool:, coolant levels fine, oil looks fine, no more temp fluctuation (praying it stays like this now 🙏).

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 12:08 PM, azer_uk said:

went out for fuel today and drove normally for 20ish mins and the temps stayed normal, decided to thrash it for about 30 secs and temps got to 3/4 on the gauge, pulled over, no more smoke from radiator and temps went to normal after a min, seems okay now?

you need to get it checked out properly dude, you dont wanna keep trhashing it or you may scrap your whole engine

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tidgy said:

you need to get it checked out properly dude, you dont wanna keep trhashing it or you may scrap your whole engine

Getting it checked 8th march as that was the earliest he could do, not driving far until then, but yeah it seems fine now, the old 0.9 bar one had what looks to be a very small bend in one of the hooks and would hiss (not sure if the hissing is normal or not).

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, azer_uk said:

Getting it checked 8th march as that was the earliest he could do, not driving far until then, but yeah it seems fine now, the old 0.9 bar one had what looks to be a very small bend in one of the hooks and would hiss (not sure if the hissing is normal or not).

should be a sealed systems so shouldn't be a hissing

One would hope old cap not seating correctly as easy fix for you, lot of people overlook cap and when pressure test the cap replaced with tester and often ignored .

OEM caps generally durable, aftermarket tends be junky so if was aftermarket wouldn't be too surprised ....

On 2/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Tidgy said:

should be a sealed systems so shouldn't be a hissing

On 2/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mr B said:

One would hope old cap not seating correctly as easy fix for you, lot of people overlook cap and when pressure test the cap replaced with tester and often ignored .

OEM caps generally durable, aftermarket tends be junky so if was aftermarket wouldn't be too surprised ....

Replaced it with a blitz 1.3 bar (blue) no more hissing, also the garage i took it to for a thermostat replacement broke the plastic yellow coolant cap and would pop off when driving, replaced that too and everythings good now 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, azer_uk said:

Replaced it with a blitz 1.3 bar (blue) no more hissing, also the garage i took it to for a thermostat replacement broke the plastic yellow coolant cap and would pop off when driving, replaced that too and everythings good now 🙂

thats good news 🙂 keep an eye on it but sounds liek you may have got a cheep fix 😄

On 3/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, Tidgy said:

thats good news 🙂 keep an eye on it but sounds liek you may have got a cheep fix 😄

oh how wrong I was, a few days after it started overheating again, yellow plastic coolant cap flying off everytime I drove it ect.

Lets just say the engine is out of the car after they did a test on the coolant 😂

On 3/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, azer_uk said:

oh how wrong I was, a few days after it started overheating again, yellow plastic coolant cap flying off everytime I drove it ect.

Lets just say the engine is out of the car after they did a test on the coolant 😂

Any update yet bud? 

51 minutes ago, ROSSCOSM said:

Any update yet bud? 

yeah nearly everything is done, hopefully have it back on monday, was a cracked head gasket.

So now fitted with mls gaskets and uprated bolts, stage 2 clutch, new stainless steel UEL headers as the old one had a crack causing a blowing sound, fully decatted, remap to about 380HP.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, azer_uk said:

yeah nearly everything is done, hopefully have it back on monday, was a cracked head gasket.

So now fitted with mls gaskets and uprated bolts, stage 2 clutch, new stainless steel UEL headers as the old one had a crack causing a blowing sound, fully decatted, remap to about 380HP.

did you get the bottom end done?

41 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

did you get the bottom end done? 

Forged? No, this repair+parts is about 3.5k and im already paying an arm and a leg for insurance so I don't want to rinse my bank account 😂

I also don't intend to keep the car longer than 2 years.

6 hours ago, azer_uk said:

Forged? No, this repair+parts is about 3.5k and im already paying an arm and a leg for insurance so I don't want to rinse my bank account 😂

I also don't intend to keep the car longer than 2 years.

no i odnt mean forged, i mean as in replaced the crank bearings? they often take damage when the HG goes.