New member. Advice on which car.

cswoolley

Hello people, I'm a newy to this forum so thought I'd say hi. I come from Wakefield but spend most of my time down near Ipswich. I do not own a Subaru yet but I will be getting one next summer if possible. 

Quick question regarding the car, it will be a WRX wagon, due to the extra space. Which year would people recommend and why? I like the look of the Hawkeye and the 2.5 sounds like it would be a more able car. I do see a lot of people rave about the blobeye though. Can someone please shed some light on why which model is better and why?

Wotcha and welcome - The earlier wagon (I think 2005 latest) has a lower tax bracket and the 2.0 engine is considered more reliable but that is open to huge debate. pound for pound a 2.0 blob will be cheaper initially and if you really want it is very easy to put a hawk front end on if you prefer the looks - or consider a legacy (2003 - 2006 is my favourite front end) 

@Newman2213 I did look into getting an import but they usually carry a bigger price tag. 

@Jay762 I will have to have a look into the reliability issue, I thought that was just for the sti models? Other than potentially a more reliable engine and cheaper running costs, does the blob have any major advantages ie better chassis etc over the hawk?

The car will be used mainly on a weekend, and I am tempted to change some parts to sti items just for the extra power and a more fun driving car.

I will be looking into more in depth stuff when I get a chance but I'm leaning more towards a hawkeye for a wagon, just on looks.

What are the uk270's are they worth the slight bit extra for one?

3 hours ago, cswoolley said:

@Jay762 I will have to have a look into the reliability issue, I thought that was just for the sti models?

Other than potentially a more reliable engine and cheaper running costs, does the blob have any major advantages ie better chassis etc over the hawk?

The car will be used mainly on a weekend, and I am tempted to change some parts to sti items just for the extra power and a more fun driving car.

I will be looking into more in depth stuff when I get a chance but I'm leaning more towards a hawkeye for a wagon, just on looks.

What are the uk270's are they worth the slight bit extra for one?

I thought that was just for the sti models?

----- 2.5l engine suffering ringland failure, not necessarily just sti - through many reasons the wrx can fail also.

Other than potentially a more reliable engine and cheaper running costs, does the blob have any major advantages ie better chassis etc over the hawk?

wrx chassis are the same - STI for both differs vs WRX - larger bearings alloy wheel hubs, bigger brakes, the Hawk has a wide track option.

If you dont want to go too extreme many wrx owners are happy with slight performance upgrades, filter exhaust map and thicker ARB's

@Jay762

Fair one. So its similar in away to the focus st engine trouble? A big fault that is a gamble to whether or not you have a good engine. 

I'm gunna have to think about it properly. I had a quick look earlier and the hawk is meant to have more torque out the box, but the blob has better power. 

The hawk looks newer and suits the wagon better but I'm thinking, the blob is probably the better car, by the sounds of it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, Siluro said:

Just a thought a 2007 Hawkeye is £545 road tax, 2006 is £325 (close to) tax, same car just registered date different. How does road tax work with an import 2007 Hawkeye?

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work.  Not sure, I think it's under a different system. I had a S15 a few years back and I think the tax was only like £240ish a year.  Not made any solid decision yet but I'm leaning more to the blobeye just on front end looks.  What are they like for reliability? I hardly see any Imprezas on the road

22 minutes ago, cswoolley said:

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work.  Not sure, I think it's under a different system. I had a S15 a few years back and I think the tax was only like £240ish a year.  Not made any solid decision yet but I'm leaning more to the blobeye just on front end looks.  What are they like for reliability? I hardly see any Imprezas on the road

Imports maybe different I do not know but my Fooking tax is £535 per year for my UK 2007 Hawkeye WRX. I think the cut off date was April 2007, any before are £325 per year.

I have a blobeye saloon and it’s brilliant mate. The 2.5 reliability thing as the guys are saying is a risk but not necessarily inevitable. But if you do go for one maybe just have a fook me it’s fooked fund. As jay says though it’s easy done to swap a hawk front end onto a bug/blob I’ve seen it done and you wouldn’t know if it’s done right. My favourite version is the bugeye but after living with a blob it grows on you quickly. Legacy is a great option aswell very similar with grown up looks still a belting car. 

20 minutes ago, ROSSCOSM said:

I have a blobeye saloon and it’s brilliant mate. The 2.5 reliability thing as the guys are saying is a risk but not necessarily inevitable. But if you do go for one maybe just have a fook me it’s fooked fund. As jay says though it’s easy done to swap a hawk front end onto a bug/blob I’ve seen it done and you wouldn’t know if it’s done right. My favourite version is the bugeye but after living with a blob it grows on you quickly. Legacy is a great option aswell very similar with grown up looks still a belting car. 

Yeah see the 2.5 gets slot of stick.  The blobeye front end is probably the best looking front end.  Legacy for me doesn't look as nice.  The wagon is purely to future proof the car.  A smooth bonnet and some subtle mods will do it for me though I think.  Can get a decent low mileage for cheap on the imports so I think I'm gunna do that in the next few months.  A few quid in the bank is definitely needed I'm guessing so I'll keep that in mind

Yeah I am tempted by the saloon but it would have to be an sti.  My thinking is a wagon is the best choice, wrx engine and the added space.  I had a s15 and it wasnt big enough space wise for me.  Hopefully by summer I'll be part of the Subaru vaping club 🙄