Engine

Falcongary

Hi everyone 

can anyone help? I’ve destroyed my bottom end and need a new engine. I’ve got Subaru Impreza WRX 1994 engine code EJ20GDW4HE. Want to know if I can put any EJ20 engine into my car? Or does it have to be an exact match. Cheers!!

Any v1 /V2 full engine (block ,heads, inlet manifold and auxiliaries) will be a direct fit 

Any v3/v4 long block (block and heads) will be a straight swap, if you fit your watercrossover pipe ,inlet manifold,engine loom and auxiliaries. 

Any ej20 bottom end will fit if you use your heads inlet ,engine loom and auxiliaries. The only thing with this option is that youd have to find out the piston crown cc  (for the bottom end you use) and head chamber size (46cc for v1 casings) . In order to know what thickness headgaskets you need to make the 8.5 1 compression ratio  

As piston crown design and cc vary over the years /models 😉

Cheers mate my mind is boggled lol. It’s my first scooby and I want to keep the classic on the road!  Could you by any chance point me in the right direction without getting shafted. There’s 100’s on eBay I just don’t know what to do really lol . Cheers Gary

• Like 1

The best option depends on your level of mechanical skills and budget tbh , bud .

If you've got the knowledge and equipment ,then rebuilding is probably the cheapest and best option imo . As you end up with a good as new engine.

Not trying  to put you off buying 2nd hand but Most compatible (reasonable straight swap) engines are anywhere between 26 and 19 yrs old .

Few tips on engine identification , to help make sense of my previous post .

V1/V2  (92 to early 96) , they have single coilpacks on top of each spark plug , a slanted intercooler and a swan neck turbo inlet (air intake pipework doesn't pass under the inlet ). Straight swap 

V3/v4 (late 96 to 98) these engines have 1 coilpack in the centre  of the inlet manifold (ht leads to the plugs) straight intercooler and a front entry turbo (intake pipework passes under the inlet).your have to fit the inlet/auxiliaries off your existing v1/V2 engine, to the heads of the v3/v4 engine.  To make everything else match the car .

V5/V6 99 onwards classic have 1 offset coilpack on the inlet but the head ports are not compatible with your inlet .

Can be fitted  but requires a lot of electrical modification or fabrication. 

Cheers mate that info was  really helpful and has help me make my mind up on a rebuild! I haven’t got the equipment or knowledge to rebuild myself I can remove it and send it away to be done. Don’t suppose you could suggest anyone or place I could send it could you? Cheers again mate! Gary 

• Like 1

I've never had a quote for rebuilding a engine but I've done a few ,so know how labour intensive and costly the full gasket kits can be . I mention that as I doubt you'll get much change from a minimum of £2k for a full rebuild. 

I just work on my own scoobies for a hobby  , so can't offer to do it for you ,unfortunately . 

If the prospect of a fairly big bill has put you off a bit, getting someone to fit a good second hand later bottom end to your heads might be worth looking into .

If I did ,want someone to build/ work on a engine for me, I'd probably choose Mick at Rm performance in banbury or Alyn at Asperformance (north Yorkshire I think).

But if you let us know what county your in and someone else migh be able to recommend someone closer .

Hi mate the engine was sweet had full service on it no knocking or banging It sounded sweet I think it was my LED foot. The lights were red went green put my foot  to the floor it went off the clock and when I slowed down and stopped it was a little knocking noise so I headed back home and now when you start it up the knocking is getting louder😤😤

I'm not too far away then , in south Suffolk about 20 miles from colchester.

I know a few owners in essex that use first start garage in basildon but haven't used them myself and don't know if the rebuild engines,  or just mot and service them  

I'm sure someone will be able to help you get it back on the road .