dash cams

stants

Does anyone use them, have any reconmendations ?

Seriously thinking of getting on for my van due to the amount of totally amazing drivers and their skills out there. Had a lady miss me by inches the other day after not seeing my massive van and coming across my front to go straight on from a right turn lane.

At least if the worst happens i have some solid evidence to preasent to insurers/the law etc

I'v thought about getting one myself or getting a webcam rigged up to the PC and some recording software. Only ones I'd looked at was the 1080p HD cams that bikers used as I thought I could put it on the bonnet scoop or any where on the car and move it around, other then that I didn't look to much into them. 

Your uses sound a bit suspect to me, what with the leather chaps living in the sticks. Sure your not out to catch doggers ? ;-)

Seriously there look like some good ones out there but cost a fair wack. From what i've read As long as the definition can pick up number plates clearly that's about all you need to go as high as. Least it can be used in prosecution.

I've just downloaded an app which looks ok i'll give it a trial run over the next week or so. Least that way i can mount in car/van without any hassle.

Could always go for a gopro camera but the are quite a bit and i wouldn't want to leave it attached all the time in my car

No I use a tripod mounted camera for my dogging sessions ;)

And I did think about that to Jay. But I would make sure it wasn't on or even in the car if it was the case :D

And have to let us know how the app goes. I still think I could get a good Hi-def Web cam to work for me though.

• 3 weeks later...

check out ghost cams :) small and very good, im getting one as soon as ive sorted the other motorbike out :) you would think a race exhaust and a bright Black and green helmet would give you away but apparently not lol.

Lovely and clear video, but no sound, is that in a phone cradle on the vents or the windscreen, I think I'm gonna get that app just need a cradle, my Stereo has bluebook so it does leave my pocket, do you have coil overs by chance, I spotted some pot hole avoidance and I see there's a distinct low car bounce over small bumps

I'm gonna have a play around with the sound features, you can upgrade to a paid version for 1.79 think it may be able to do more sound wise.

It's a cradle i bit the bullet and bought a genuine Samsung one. Solid as a rock well made just need to get the view sorted. Think that's why the ride looks bumpy

That pot hole is more like a ravine, been there at last 10 years even in the van it's horrendous. Force of habit avoiding it. Was my route to work till 18 months ago

Standard set up with stardard springs the roads are just bad, haha

I know what you mean, I know where to swerve at certain points on the roads, the council pay less in compo for damage to vehicles than it costs to fix them so they leave them there

As for the phone holder, I try and get universal ones as I'm always changing my phone so a model specific one would be useless to me after a few months, I have however thought of getting one for my tablet as I put tomtom on it and I quite fancy a 7" sat navigation lol, trouble is there's no camera on the back so it wouldn't be any use as a camera, I might see if I can cobble something together