catch can install

Sickman

•  

Hi I’ve been a member for a while but have never introduced myself and have generally been poaching tec info from this site. However the time has come to ask a question.

i have a 1995 uk Impreza. Had the engine rebuilt 2.1 stroker etc.

it then sat around after a respray for about ten years. Last year I finally got a running in map and all was good. I was about to upgrade turbo sports cat and it started smoking under boast so I had a look and the intake has oil in it so I’m now fitting a catch can.

ive looked at a million threads but cant find a picture. I’ve taken some breathers off near under the turbo and expected to see the psv  valve but it’s just a copper looking pipe coming out of the crank case. 

im probably about to get spanked for being a noob and posting in the wrong place!

cheers

Alex

Ok well every breather joint on the way to the intake has a small amount of oil around it. The intercooler and hoses has oil in it. From what I have read this is a breather problem which is common and I need to fit a catch can or my rings are gone which I hoping they’re not cos the engine has only done a few thousand miles. 

The pcv valve is directly below the throttle body on the inlet manifold,  the other 2 oil breathers are on top of each cam cover .

Just make sure of you disconnect the oe oil breather system, that you "bung " any un used pipe take offs ... ie the one that goes to the intake pipework and 1 of the outlets on the crank breather y pipe 😉

Excessive oil burning could be due to a turbo seal or rings , are you getting much pressure when you take off the oil filler cap when running? 

This might indicate blow by , combustion gasses getting past the rings ,leading to excess crankcase pressure and the oil burning 

Cheers savage I’ll install the catch can as per your directions and then I’ll check the oil filler cap. I pretty sure there was no pressure there the last time I took the filler cap off when it was running but I need to get it back together to check it now

Although it would make sense if it's a 1 way valve , Otherwise boost would blow out of the inlet into the crankcase . I'd imagine you'd need to block it off as I don't know what pressure it operates at and it might suck air into the manifold at idle vacuum. 

Tbh my pcv inlet manifold hole had been welded up before I fitted my can 😊