Power Steering woes! Please help

James Ward

hi all, just had my power steering pump replaced with a secondhand one. got it back from the shop yesterday and the steering was super heavy. the mechanic said he'd experienced this before (not with a subi though), and it freed up after a bit of driving. I took it for an hours drive around the bendiest bends i could find. 5 point turns, round-a-bouts, the lot. didn't get any better. again, last night took it out and it got heavier and heavier as i went. nearly pulled a muscle parking the bugger. Went out this morning to have a look. turned it on and it squealed somewhat and fluid was coming out of the reservoir! Spoke to the mechanic again and he said try running it, turning the wheel etc. Seemed pretty light to turn to start with but the squealing was pretty bad as i turned the steering wheel either way. more fluid was also pumping out and the steering got heavier and heavier each time i turned the wheel. i cut the engine and checked the fluid and it looked like espresso! Can anyone advise on what the AF is happening here please?? It's a 2005 2lt non-turbo version and i'm fearing a spares or repair conclusion to this! that'd be heartbreaking. 

Cheers in advance

James. 

image.thumb.png.6ac84767ad09f5fe66fe5d66fda4fd55.png  

I'm no expert but I'd say air was being drawn in to the system somehow - do these pumps need bleeding after being re filled maybe?  Someone with more knowledge than me should be along soon 😉  

Junk replacement pump probably.

Looks like it likely cavitating to me .
Generally they self bleed easily with few lock to lock turns

Pumps on these easy strip down,
Plenty used pumps or new/.recon .

what was exact issues that got it in garage for replacement pump ?

I would get this looked at asap before a bigger issue .
If garage supplied pump get them swap it out again .
Both pump and rack easy work on so don't wrrite it off yet .

Biggest issue is lot of mechanics useless at diagnosing/working with hydraulics and throw in used parts the end results can be more problems than initially had .

• Like 1

basically lot of garages simply won't be doing enough power steering repairs have knowledge or equipment test it easily or in sensible time frame so part swap on educated guess tends be preferred method and I had do that a few times on systems that didn't attach to test gauges or test cost exceeds part swap cost .

most time it pump on subarus and as the pump known failure it not a great buy as a used part,
You can get overhaul kit for the pumps and that route I go if internal housing surfaces decent enough .
Recon pumps or low cost pattern part are bit of gamble too these days as everything about lowest cost manufacture to enable cheap retail baiting on products hardly fit for purpose .

If you supply the parts to mechanic then not really fully his fault but if he diagnosed as pump and supplied pump then he got put mess right .

One of the biggest issues we have in trade today is part quality, while I use a lot of used genuine parts in lot of cases power steering is area need extra care/checks ...

Hopefully garage will help the OP out and get issue resolved minimal fuss ! ....

• Like 1