Turbocharging 1.5r

Hi, I'm wanting to put a turbo in my 1.5 r I know the Td04 is compatible but I'm just wanting some advice as to which parts to use (intercooler, air flow,, fuelling etc). I don't necessarily want a stupid amount of power it's just a fun project. Thanks in advance. 

Don't bother, by the time you've done what you need to do to do it properly it will cost more than selling it and buying a wrx that has alot more upgrades like brakes, suspension etc etc

4 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Don't bother, by the time you've done what you need to do to do it properly it will cost more than selling it and buying a wrx that has alot more upgrades like brakes, suspension etc etc

I know it will cost a lot but there's no way in hell I'm insuring a wrx. I want to move on and buy an sti eventually but I'm only 19 at the minute and no where will even offer me insurance so I want to have some fun with what I have now because let's be honest I've got no chance of having anything better for about 6 years lol. 

With those mods you would push you insurance up anyway?

parts you will need off top of head are

header and up pipe

turbo

oil and coolant feed lines

piping

intercooler and bracket

Recirc valve and tubing

ecu

pressure solenoid / boost controller

fuel system mods to accommodate increase in demand - pump, injectors etc.

Engine work to lower the compression of the cyclinders - NA engines run a higher compression than turbo units

You may also end up with issues with the chassis tying itself in knots as suspension, arb's etc will be overwhelmed

then dependent on what power you get there may be issues with the clutch and differential possibly drive shaft links. I know the setup on my 2.0 NA auto is way way smaller than my STI but that is factory 150bhp tolerance vs factory 330bhp tolerance.

The TD04 turbo may bolt on but as it is designed for a larger capacity engine you may find it will not work with your engine.

A mitsubishi colt has a 1.5 turbo engine and runs around 150bhp as standard - these can get an easy boost to 200bhp with mild tuning however they have immediate issues with the standard clutch but looking at my lads 1.3 NA version against my NA 2.0 I can see the chassis is a better starting point in that car than the scoob.

By all means it is your car and it would be great to see your progress in a build thread but I would suggest doing more research on the engine solution based on other 1.5 turbo cars to get volumes and calculations correct - I dont think it will be as simple as just bolting on wrx parts

You will be better off with a different turbo car that you can map. You still have to declare it to the insurance so your premiums will rise. I would keep saving money till I could afford the STI and just drive a banger around till then building up you no claims bonus. What you want to do does sound fun but not going to be worth it.

3 hours ago, Thal said:

I know it will cost a lot but there's no way in hell I'm insuring a wrx. I want to move on and buy an sti eventually but I'm only 19 at the minute and no where will even offer me insurance so I want to have some fun with what I have now because let's be honest I've got no chance of having anything better for about 6 years lol. 

you do realise the insurance will prob cost less on a wrx than modding it and then insuring it?

8 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

you do realise the insurance will prob cost less on a wrx than modding it and then insuring it?

He is 19, only if he declares it. At 19 I had nothing to lose like my house etc.... Wander how many modded cars are not actually insured. Just changing the wheels counts if you read the small print.

Out of interest how much is a quote on a WRX for you?

My lad is 20 and he was looking at 4 - 5k on a hawk wagon wrx, that was with a clean licence, now he has some points he is not even entertaining it until they come off

8 hours ago, Siluro said:

He is 19, only if he declares it. At 19 I had nothing to lose like my house etc.... Wander how many modded cars are not actually insured. Just changing the wheels counts if you read the small print.

Out of interest how much is a quote on a WRX for you?

Even stickers and decals are considered a modification. I work in a garage so if it really came to it I have a pretty good team who will come out and get rid of the modified evidence. No where will even offer a quote due to age and type of car. The nearest I got was 38k on a legacy just for a rough guide so definitely not an option. 

10 hours ago, Jay762 said:

With those mods you would push you insurance up anyway?

parts you will need off top of head are

header and up pipe

turbo

oil and coolant feed lines

piping

intercooler and bracket

Recirc valve and tubing

ecu

pressure solenoid / boost controller

fuel system mods to accommodate increase in demand - pump, injectors etc.

Engine work to lower the compression of the cyclinders - NA engines run a higher compression than turbo units

You may also end up with issues with the chassis tying itself in knots as suspension, arb's etc will be overwhelmed

then dependent on what power you get there may be issues with the clutch and differential possibly drive shaft links. I know the setup on my 2.0 NA auto is way way smaller than my STI but that is factory 150bhp tolerance vs factory 330bhp tolerance.

The TD04 turbo may bolt on but as it is designed for a larger capacity engine you may find it will not work with your engine.

A mitsubishi colt has a 1.5 turbo engine and runs around 150bhp as standard - these can get an easy boost to 200bhp with mild tuning however they have immediate issues with the standard clutch but looking at my lads 1.3 NA version against my NA 2.0 I can see the chassis is a better starting point in that car than the scoob.

By all means it is your car and it would be great to see your progress in a build thread but I would suggest doing more research on the engine solution based on other 1.5 turbo cars to get volumes and calculations correct - I dont think it will be as simple as just bolting on wrx parts

Thank you that's a really helpful guide. I do understand the work involved as I'm a mechanic. I have another car I can use while it's in the workings. I come from a family of mechanics as well so I have access to a lot of tools and discounted parts which is mostly why I want to do it plus the whole insurance thing. The other thing I thought about was doing a complete engine swap but again it'd come down to suspension quality, brake upgrades etc. 

IMO go for a high mileage WRX and spend the time fettling that, pull the engine, port & flow the heads, cdb / semi cdb match all the intakes manufacture your own screamer pipe, play with antilag setups research coolant mods and use it on the track until insurance is an option. That way you learn as well as end up with a serious piece of kit at the end

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...