hesitation on take off and sometimes through slight acceleration 2020 xv hybrid

Kevin Stokes

I am happy with the performance of the 2020 Subaru XV hybrid except for the stutter and pause on take off and sometimes a hesitation through the "gears". It may only be a slight hesitation but it can be dangerous if I need to accelerate to negotiate a roundabout....(I am not a rev head but one needs to be able to keep up with traffic) I have been told twice its normal and once a tech put a computer on it and went for a drive. The overall performance was slightly better but the stutter remains. This problem spoils an otherwise pleasant car to drive and I am convinced its not normal and I don't believe Subaru would deliberately produce a car with that sort of behavior.

I wondered if other owners have had these problems and if they were remedied. I am trying to get a test drive of another vehicle but the COVID thing has player havoc with supply here and cars are sold as soon as they arrive.

I intend to present the car to the dealer again in the new year and it would be good if I knew of other peoples experiences with the 2020 hybrid

Thank you all

• Like 1

I don't get a stutter so much as very slight lag between power demand and power delivery which I've always characterised as the CVT design.  It's very much better in this car than others I've driven with an CVT.  My car is not a hybrid but I did a very long test drive, best part of an hour, as part of the UK pre launch.  I found the hybrid even better than my current car, the Battery boost giving a noticeable boost over the pure petrol only engine.  The thing that always gets to me is the high engine revs to get the maximum acceleration.

One of the problems with this type of issue is one mans hesitation is normal to someone else and I do think it does depend on previous car driving experience.  I do hope you manage to get a resolution to the problem your experiencing it's a great car as you've already indicated. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks ernieb

Ive had two earlier model XVs and neither had any lag at all...in fact they were very slippery taking off it could just be an individual car difference I suppose and perhaps it will resolve with use....only 11,000km .....the high revs is off putting as you say but Ive found the car needs to be driven slightly differently to other gear box cars.....if you use progressive acceleration it will wind up nicely without the high revs...it is not a fast accelerator and I am careful overtaking. The Hybrid is smoother and more powerful than the normal XV ..I found that test driving. With all faults its a very nice car to drive and is a pleasure on the open road

• Like 1

Agree about the need for the smooth driving style.  I'm a more defensive driver than aggressive so have always been and have found over the years particularly with any automatic style of gear box that gradual acceleration will get you there just as quickly as a full floor with the right foot.  It also saves a great deal of fuel.  I rarely use a full throttle acceleration in the XV but have found that once it gets over the initial 'thought process' it's pretty good.  As you've said the car overall is a pleasure to drive holding the road really well and the Eyesight system is a joy especially on motorways.

• Like 1