RB320 Newbie

JockRB320

Hi there

Just put a deposit down on a RB320 after taking a test drive in 1 yesterday.

Im not new to the Subaru badge, as I have owned 2 hawkeye STI's in the last 6 years (amongst other brands).

I'm hoping you guys (girls) can help me in any noob questions that I may have to ask, and hopefully not take too much P out of me for being a noob on here.

PS I'll stick up some pics of the car as soon as I get the car in my garage.

Cheers

Colin

Hmmmmmm RB320 My all time must own before I die car :D And pictures are a must now ;)

Oh and I guess I should have started by Welcoming you to the Forums :) (wipes drool away)

And feel free to ask away mate. real good bunch of people on here :)

• Like 1

Hi Miggs

Thanks for the welcome.

I should pick up the car on Saturday. The dealership has to refurbish 1 of the wheels first before I take delivery though.

I'm in no rush to pick it up though, I'd rather it was all sorted before I get my hands on it.

Hmmmmmm RB320 My all time must own before I die car :D And pictures are a must now ;)

Oh and I guess I should have started by Welcoming you to the Forums :) (wipes drool away)

And feel free to ask away mate. real good bunch of people on here :)

Hi Gambit

Thanks for the welcome :)

The RB320 has been on my list for the last few years, and 1 that I plan on keeping for a while.

The only plans I have for the car is to replace the brake pads, and lines. Oh and also to get rid of the piano up front (ICE), and change out the speakers.

• Like 1

I don't blame you on being in no rush. Even if it was me I wouldn't be able to sleep :D

And sounds like some good choice's to start with ;)

"to start with" lol

I always say that to myself when buying a 'new to me car' but I really want to keep the modding to a minimal on this car, and only improve the car where it is actually needed. 

I know from my last hawkeyes that the brakes haven't got as much bite as they should (also proved on the test ride on the RB320), and the Stereo system is way off mark. Fortunately I still have Alpine front speakers from my last hawkeye, and wiring kit. (I will also replace the rears)

I am thinking of going down the double DIN route this time with built in SAT NAV if any of you guys can direct me in the right direction.

Wotcha and welcome - a choice piece of machinery that is for certain looking forward to the pics ;)

Thanks for the welcome Jay

Pics are always a must no matter the car IMO.

Also had a drive in the "saloon version" new STI and really liked the interior of that car. Looked far more up to date.

1 thing I did see at the dealership, that made me have a second take was a eeerrrrmmmm 'STI looking' diesel. That was a shock to the system :(

Please don't take my last post as being a snob against diesel engines, as I have had a fair few over the past couple of years and love the torque from them (still think the 330/335d bmw engine is one of the best around), and I'm running a diesel as a commuter to work and back.

I just never thought I'd see 1 in a 'STI looking' Impreza.

• Like 1

Hi M8 , niche choice in car the RB320 , All the best to you and enjoy the car . I know you will ;-) what color are you getting ? I agree with modding a car subtle is nice jus wot is needed . I personally dont like cars that are OTT know wot I mean

Please post a cpl pics wen u get the car . All the best and welcome once again to the forum

Lol

RB320 will be in black as they all are ;)

I have had a new black 07 STI hawkeye, and also the WR Blue 07 STI over the last 6 years though and still like the sparkle from the blue car when polished up.

Don't know why I ever got rid of my first 1, but you live and learn I suppose.

Ah I didn't know they only came in black !! I am a newbie to scoobys I got my first june this year before that I went thru a cpl of bmw 3 series vauxhall cavy corsa and I had a1989 3.5 ltr senator loved it and I have had a saab 93 convertible and a Jag S type but I always had a thing for subarus I have a bug eye gx with a auto transmission but I will be going for a hawk eye once funds are saved

i said i wasn't modifying the subie when i got it at christmas last year, i said i was going to paint the gold wheels black and that's it, i am now on my 3rd set of rims and have upgraded the 2 pot brakes for the 4 pots and fitted a dab Stereo and HUGE jbl basstube in the boot, that in fairness has been on about twice since fitting, if i keep it quiet i can't hear it over the exhaust, if i crank it up i can't hear the exhaust and i like to hear that, future plans are to now take the audio out and fit a 3 gauge plate in the din hole and some decent gauges in there instead

as for sat nav units, i have just sold a pioneer avic unit that was £795 new and only used for 3 months for £200, i've always been a fan of sony stuff but after fitting the pioneer i can't recommend them enough, mine had parrot Bluetooth built in which allowed you to sync all your contacts and dial them off the screen, it was made to work very well with the ipod/iphone with the usb connection, you could put your Apple product hidden away and get the tracks from the screen, sound quality was immense, never heard anything from a car Stereo so crisp and clear

the sat nav aspect was almost as good as tomtom units, it was update-able via the software you get for the computer and register your unit, there was a range of colours for the illumination to match pretty much all cars available

the unit i had was a AVIC F310BT it's no longer on the market and was sat in my garage for a while, you can still get them but if your not worried about leaving the unit in the car i'd go for a bigger screen version, mine was a face off unit so you lost a bit of screen size due to that, it wasn't a DVD player so i didn't find that an issue

Pioneer units

my old unit

Thanks for all that info Miggs

I'll have a look at those head units once I pick up the car.

I just remembered that I have a rockford amp from my last STI, that I can also hook up to improve the sound system. (knew it was a good idea to stick it up the loft for a rainy day :))

Also I'll order up some EBC redstuff brake pads, and also braided brake lines over the weekend to improve the feel of the brakes. 

• Like 1

I agree I don't think I've had a car that's been as bad with the breaks ever. But I'm being forced to do them now keep getting a sticky piston. So I'm thinking when I get the time I might as well do the lot in one go :D 

make sure you get used to the pads before you start driving hard, i can't remember if it was the red or yellow pads from EBC that don't work that well until they are warmed up, they work don't get me wrong but they really come into their own when warm