Full sized spare for xv - forester a possibility?

Matt25

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a full sized spare for my 2015 XV. It doesn't have to match, appearance wise, just do the job. 

XV wheels are rare and expensive on eBay, and I'm wondering if a Forester wheel might work? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them and they are considerably cheaper. For example, I've seen a 2012 forester wheel with the right size tyre. Does anyone know if this might fit?

Thanks for any info, and apologies if this has been asked before. 

Matt 

PS - here's a pic of me enjoying the snow at Ben Lawers a couple of weeks ago! 😁

IMG_20220206_101830_567.thumb.jpg.a4facfd4d15823b31d5e4cd6de9bff88.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Matt25 said:

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a full sized spare for my 2015 XV. It doesn't have to match, appearance wise, just do the job. 

XV wheels are rare and expensive on eBay, and I'm wondering if a Forester wheel might work? There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them and they are considerably cheaper. For example, I've seen a 2012 forester wheel with the right size tyre. Does anyone know if this might fit?

I had a look on this site and the 2012 has the same stud pattern as the 2015, so should be ok.  https://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/xv/2015/

22 hours ago, Matt25 said:

Edited by AndyLevorg
Removed image

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I ordered a Forester wheel off eBay, using the tool above to check the sizes matched (thanks again, Andy!) and test fitted and test drove it today. It fits bang on and will do the job perfectly. So this might be an option for folk looking to get a cheap full sized spare or a set of wheels to put winter tyres on. 

Matt

• Like 1

My understanding ( and I might be wrong) is that an XV is lighter than a Forester, which is lighter than an Outback ( not sure re the e-boxers though with all that extra Battery weight etc).  So, a lighter Subaru model can safely fit a wheel from a heavier model (providing offsets, etc are OK), but not the other way around.  Anyone know anything different? I think that theissue is the load weighting safe margins designed for the alloy wheel. I gleaned this from the US Subaru site while trying to source a whole set of winter alloys for my OB and also seeing plenty of forester alloys on eBay and gumtree.

Also, an alternative option might be to buy a Subaru steelie if youre only wanting it for a temporary get-me-home spare (I think the max wheel diameter for Subaru steels are 17"  so the tyre profile would need to be deeper to match the 18" alloys).  Steel wheels are obviously much cheaper but also heavier. I think load weighting is not such an issue.  Again, I might be wrong so don't take this as gospel ! 🙃

I had seen this discussion in relation to little 'eco' cars (smart cars colts etc) that are running light / thinner alloy wheels but not on normal size vehicles

You could in theory have a passenger load in an XV which could exceed the weight of an outback so for that reason I would have thought the manufacturing tolerance of the wheels would be similar.

I have always been more concerned on wheel repairs, powder coating etc which if the incorrect heat cycle is applied the structure of the alloy changes and it makes it brittle

4 hours ago, Jay762 said:

I had seen this discussion in relation to little 'eco' cars (smart cars colts etc) that are running light / thinner alloy wheels but not on normal size vehicles

You could in theory have a passenger load in an XV which could exceed the weight of an outback so for that reason I would have thought the manufacturing tolerance of the wheels would be similar.

I have always been more concerned on wheel repairs, powder coating etc which if the incorrect heat cycle is applied the structure of the alloy changes and it makes it brittle

I can't find the thread on the other website to check how this was referenced, but even if I could've found it I'm sure it was just someone expressing their opinion, so it might not be authoritative or even correct. 

You'd think with Subaru shifting to Global platform manufacturing that these things would be standardized across model.  I seem to recall that aftermarket alloys have to have the weight ratings stamped on the rims but that this isn't necessary for OEM rims.

I get a bit twitchy about wheels after a work colleague a few years ago totaled his Skoda Octavia Scout and when the insurance company (Admiral?) found he'd fitted aftermarket alloys they caused all sorts of issues about his cover and their liability.  Not directly because of the non-original alloys, but because he had failed to notify them of what they considered to be a modification ! So not a weight rating issue per se.  However, I can't see how using another Subaru model wheel as a spare could be problematic as hopefully it'll never get used and if it is it'll be temporary.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, Justin Time said:

You'd think with Subaru shifting to Global platform manufacturing that these things would be standardized across model.  I seem to recall that aftermarket alloys have to have the weight ratings stamped on the rims but that this isn't necessary for OEM rims.

I would agree with that - cover your tolerances for a range of products helps with manufacturing efficiency  etc.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, Justin Time said:

I get a bit twitchy about wheels after a work colleague a few years ago totaled his Skoda Octavia Scout and when the insurance company (Admiral?) found he'd fitted aftermarket alloys they caused all sorts of issues about his cover and their liability.  Not directly because of the non-original alloys, but because he had failed to notify them of what they considered to be a modification ! So not a weight rating issue per se.  However, I can't see how using another Subaru model wheel as a spare could be problematic as hopefully it'll never get used and if it is it'll be temporary.

Unfortunately pretty standard practice in that industry - more about avoiding a payout