Drag Strip Tips

mfnick

Now then, I'm off to Santa Pod this Sunday.

Thing is I've only done it in a FWD car before - specifically my Civic Type R. Now that was pretty simple, just had to balance it well enough to keep wheels pin to a minimum and change just before the limiter.

But the Impreza, that's a different beast. First of all from a couple of practice launches ready for the weekend I've done I keep getting bogged down. Even when I tried to hold the revs quite high - between 3500-4000. Now I only did 3 test runs since i didn't want to destroy the clutch & didnt go mental haha! I'm guessing I just need to hold the clutch for longer? I did a little on my 3rd test but not a great deal to protect it as much as poss but even so it made little to no difference. I'm also thinking this just may be how it is with AWD? Any drag runs I've seen on TV with 4 wheel drive cars do all seem to have a split second at the start where they hardly move before shooting off. Am I right in thinking that?

Also I take it its probably not the best idea taking it to the redline as I would in a N/A car and will actually be better short shifting - but making sure I'm at the correct revs for full boost in the next gear. Again, am I right in thinking that?

Any other tips also welcome! Ill only be doing 2-3 runs by the way - only one of which will be a full on go. Want to keep the stress on the car to a minimum while still enjoying myself.

I'd look at anti lag for that myself. Mind you I want it anyway that I can turn off or on when I want ;)

I've only ever done a few track days, so full on launches like you want I've not really done apart from some small ones off the light's to beat the ***** at the side of me :D But this is what seems to work best so be a matter of trying it yourself. Rev up the engine to about 4500, then lift your foot off the accelerator completely as you let the clutch out 1/2 way, as you watch the rpm drop to about 3600 or so floor it and release the clutch all the way, And sit back well be pushed back into the seat and enjoy the ride :)

Ill do my best. I'm making sure my mate gets a few of mine on the strip that's for sure. Never got one of the Civic, won't be making that mistake again. May take a vid too, wont post if its embarrassing though haha!

Ill do my best. I'm making sure my mate gets a few of mine on the strip that's for sure. Never got one of the Civic, won't be making that mistake again. May take a vid too, wont post if its embarrassing though haha!

You never know you might get caught on a Gopro from a forum member ;)

Iain make sure you get a video ;) just incase it is embarrassing seeing as you are already there :D 

Well I will be there with my Gopro so beware ;) lol obviously though I can be bribed with obscene amounts of cash for any footage you might class as embarrassing :)

!Removed!!! Haha!! Better not get caught on a bad run mate ;) . Are you going to be running?

No I'm not running, I'm going up in my mates car, I got a suspension issue at the moment so no pay back for if I catch a bad run lol

Tbh I had my bust run at the pod when I was staging building revs, dumped the clutch and the car was in neutral :lol:

Being pretty embarrassed I just put it in 1st gear gave it a some revs and pulled away like booting it from the lights. Did a 13.6 qtr mile. That was in my 95wrx years ago.

Tbh I had my bust run at the pod when I was staging building revs, dumped the clutch and the car was in neutral :lol:

Being pretty embarrassed I just put it in 1st gear gave it a some revs and pulled away like booting it from the lights. Did a 13.6 qtr mile. That was in my 95wrx years ago.

:lol: That's why I like track days at least I can hide around another corner as I go round :D

Hey the only embarrassment should be from the armchair spectators - you're putting it out there, respect, although if you get duffed up by a punto - bearing in mind we have already seen a Samber can ghost them - you will have some explaining to do  :P

enjoy yourself ;)

Hey the only embarrassment should be from the armchair spectators - you're putting it out there, respect, although if you get duffed up by a punto - bearing in mind we have already seen a Samber can ghost them - you will have some explaining to do  :P

enjoy yourself ;)

:lol:  :lol:

No pressure :D 

Well it ended up being a right waste of time and money. Due to them closing the track for any speck of rain I only got one run and that one was rubbish thanks to to the guy on the line. He was pushing and motioning me to go even before the lights turned. So I did - didn't record a time and in my confusion of why I was being forced to go so completely messed up the launch. Not like it matters since it didnt record it but still...

He organisation and the communication (not letting you know when they close the track, when its back open, why a handfulof us couldnt do proper runs etc.) was **** poor! Really disappointed. Definitely wont be going outside the summer months when it's dry again.

I can understand that but when I've gone to these things before they make you fill in all the paper work to say they wont payout for any damage. If it was full water logged track I can understand. But he's said from the 1st drop of rain :(

Yea they closed it for hardly any rain at all! I was really !Removed! off to be honest. Cost me over £100 for entry, fuel there and back & the 1 run. It took them until past 10:30 to open the track up (meant to be 9:30) in the first place due to a little shower that had happened a while earlier too.

Thing is I know a regular there and when he went a few months I'm sure he said he went on in the rain. I just don't get it. I can understand the dedicated, purpose but drag cars with slicks being turned away (i doubt theyd want to run in that anyway) but regular road cars on regular tyres - surely we should be allowed on it still.

Anyway, I won't be going again unless its sunny I know that much.