Oil advice & recommendations from oilman @ Opie Oils

8 hours ago, oilman said:

Hi Steve

Yes, at the moment, that will be the best I think. You can use the code CFS for 15% off the Millers CFS, but that won't take any discount off the filter, so I guess it will work out about the same in total.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

Any difference between K&N Oil filter and the OEM one for our cars? I've always been told to use OEM before (on previous vehicles)?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve I've used blueprint, K&N, OEM. You name it used them all and had no problems with any of them. Blueprint I found really good for cost. I think if you doing the changes enough and it's not bad quality shouldn't be a problem. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Steve I've used blueprint, K&N, OEM. You name it used them all and had no problems with any of them. Blueprint I found really good for cost. I think if you doing the changes enough and it's not bad quality shouldn't be a problem. emoji4.png

Cheers mate. Just found it a bit odd that K&N was offered and the OEM wasn't under recommends with the kit you know and was wondering why. Think I'll stick to OEM.

• Like 1

Unless you're running big power than 300 I'd maybe spend the extra but all the filters I listed was running 300bhp I ran blueprint which is meant to be oem quality filter for over a year and half and still runs fine now. [emoji4]

Hi

It's the way the look up works, it only offers K&N or Mahle at the moment.

Filters are quite straightforward really, don't use rubbish. I (and most of the other guys here) us Mahle, plus we sell something like 200000 of their filters a year, with no quality issues at all. Bosch have always been pretty good, so we do those as well now. K&N are decent filters, but they also have filters for vehicles that the other companies don't list. The OEM filters that we have are just because one of our suppliers sells them and customers want them, but I don't really see the point in them. They are just a filter made by a filter company, then re-badged as OEM. 

Cheers

Tim

9 hours ago, oilman said:

Hi

It's the way the look up works, it only offers K&N or Mahle at the moment.

Filters are quite straightforward really, don't use rubbish. I (and most of the other guys here) us Mahle, plus we sell something like 200000 of their filters a year, with no quality issues at all. Bosch have always been pretty good, so we do those as well now. K&N are decent filters, but they also have filters for vehicles that the other companies don't list. The OEM filters that we have are just because one of our suppliers sells them and customers want them, but I don't really see the point in them. They are just a filter made by a filter company, then re-badged as OEM. 

Cheers

Tim

Gotcha. I've switched the Millers CFS out for Motul and the OEM for the K&N. Also got a few other goody bits too. Debated on trying the Motul 8100 as it was a cracking price and it included the oil filter (probably would of if it was a K&N...I dunno why), but I went with the Motul Sport. Can't wait. Thanks Tim!

12 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Gotcha. I've switched the Millers CFS out for Motul and the OEM for the K&N. Also got a few other goody bits too. Debated on trying the Motul 8100 as it was a cracking price and it included the oil filter (probably would of if it was a K&N...I dunno why), but I went with the Motul Sport. Can't wait. Thanks Tim!

Thanks for the order. 

The Motul Sport is a good oil, it's basically the same as the X-Cess, but with an ester content, so it's an upgrade.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Just got myself a sump baffle plate to help with track days. Looking for a recommended oil for a classic impreza, modified(276hp) on 177k miles. 1-2 track days a year if I'm lucky. Do oil changes approx 2-3k mile intervals. Barely cover 2-3k miles a year now so limited use.

Hi

I would use a 10w-40

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Fuchs Pro R, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Gulf Tec Plus, Valvoline Durablend/Maxlife, castrol Magnatec, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers CSS/EE/Trident are good choices.

Cheers

Tim

Hi
I would use a 10w-40
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx
The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Fuchs Pro R, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Gulf Tec Plus, Valvoline Durablend/Maxlife, Castrol Magnatec, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers CSS/EE/Trident are good choices.
Cheers
Tim
Any good?

4e46f57792da4969172deef501121286.jpg

7 hours ago, oilman said:

Hi Dan

Is it standard or modified? Road or track use?

Cheers

Tim

Hi tim

it's standard as far as I know I only got it on sunday,it's a road car

I got coolant for it today as yesterday it was intermittently overheating,I never thought to check the coolant level but when I did I found it was nearly empty and the air it was sucking in had contracted the radiator Pipe! 

So just oil recommendations if you could,cheers.

Dan

Hi Dan

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT+, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Subaru Impreza 2015 GP model, 

N/A 1.6 engine.

No engine modifications.

Used on road, and on single track farm roads.

Dealer has been using 5/30w despite manual specifying 0/20w.

Any independent advice greatly appreciated.

David 

Hi David

5w-30 is an option for the engine and it's cheaper than 0w-20, so a dealership will tend to go for 5w-30. You might find with a 0w-20 that you get better economy or performance due to reduced internal resistance.  Any of the 0w-20s via this link will be fine for it.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-2024-api-sn-petrol-engine-oil.aspx

Regards

Tim

Tim thats fantastic, 

If i were to top up 0/20 with 5/30 or vice versa would this be problematic?
as you rightly stated, 5/30 is much easier to pick up.

Lastly would you expect a faster oil consumption rate on either of them?

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Please can you recommend a high quality engine oil for a 2006 JDM Hawkeye Impreza 2.0 WRX STI - I have one on the way from Japan and am getting conflicting advice on the grade of oil to use. Your website doesn't seem to have an option for this import and advice I'm getting includes 5/40 and 10/40. The car will only be used on the roads and will be getting a sensible remap no higher than 350bhp with supporting mods in time.

Thank you

David