Oil advice & recommendations from oilman @ Opie Oils

Has anyone used the Roger Clark oil filter on their Sti ? if so what do you think ? I've just brought some Motul 300v from Opie Oils after some advice from Tim what a excellent company by the way superb service even the courier was a good cheerful guy. I thought maybe a upgraded oil filter can't do not harm. thanks in advance 

Thanks for the order.

I think there is often a bit too much made out of filters. As long as you are getting a filter from a good, reputable company, you won't have any issue. We've sold Purolator, UFI, Mahle, K&N and Subaru own brand ones and never had an issue with any of them. 

I don't know how much a Roger Clark filter is, but some of the Subaru ones are ridiculously expensive and I really don't see the benefit of them.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

That's not too bad, but when Mahle's filter is under £6 and well proven, that's the one I'd go for.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-74769-mahle-oil-filter-oc195-mazda-nissan-subaru-or-muller-fo205-as-alternative-single.aspx

Mahle make some very good filters and we have seen their filters opened up and compared with others. The Mahle ones are very well made and they are very careful to ensure that their filters are at least as good as the OEM ones.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I'm changing the engine oil this week and just wanting to make sure i get the best quality and best kind for my car.

Model: Impreza WRX 
Year: 1994
Engine: Done just over 100,00 miles now and hasn't been rebuilt 
Performance modifications: upgraded fuel pump, front mount intercooler, 440 injectors, K&N induction 9' cone filter, 
Driving style: Road
Power: Mapped on simtek 312bhp

Cheers , Brad

Hi Brad

I would use a 10w-40 as it's not going on track.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Fuchs Pro R, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Gulf Tec Plus, Valvoline Durablend/Maxlife, castrol Magnatec, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers EE/Trident are good choices.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Brad

I would use a 10w-40 as it's not going on track.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-657-10w-40.aspx

The best ones are the Gulf Competition, Motul 300V, Fuchs Pro R, Red Line and Millers CFS. As a cheaper alternative the Fuchs Syn MC, Gulf Tec Plus, Valvoline Durablend/Maxlife, Castrol Magnatec, Shell HX7, Motul 6100 and Millers EE/Trident are good choices.

Cheers

Tim

Just out of interest why a 10-40 over a 5-40 ?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi, could you advise on the best oil for my 2008 Sti Hatchback please. I am told it has forged pistons from when it was re-built around 25000 miles, it is now on 80000 miles ( didn't know if that would make a difference ).

i have been using mobil 1 esp, as that was what was in it when i got it, but just want to make sure i use the right stuff when i change it.

Thanks in advance., Phil.

Hi Tim, 

it uses some oil, but not what I would think is an excessive amount, it's a bit hard to tell as I have a minor leak somewhere so a bit obviously goes that way, but I've never used enough to get concerned about. 

Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and that should stop/reduce the consumption.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Hello i just had a recent oil change using oil recommended by Tim from Opie Oils (thanks Tim) From his recommendations I decided to use Motul 300V along with Roger Clark Motor sport oil filter  . I have a 2012 Subaru Wrx Sti in don't know if I'm just imagining it but the car feels different feels a tad more smoother and urgent. Just thought I'd let you guys know .

@oilman hi - sorry to hijack this thread...

My 2005 wagon (2.0 na engine, 160bhp) is going in for engine oil next week, and I also want to change the front and rear differential oil.  I found no evidence of this oil ever being changed in all the receipts and history I got with the car...

So just to ask what is the best oil for the differentials? Does front and read use the same fluid?

0W-30 for the engine seems to be a good shout?

thanks,

Hi

Is it an auto or manual? If manual, the gearbox and diff share oil, so no need for a front diff oil. If auto, it has a separate diff. 

The rear diff needs a 75w-90 GL5 oil and if it's an auto, you need the same for the front as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-mtfs-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

The Fuchs Syn 5, Millers CRX, Red Line 75w-90 GL5, Motul Gear 300 and Gulf Competition are ideal for the diff. The Fuchs Sintopoid, castrol Syntrax Longlife, Millers TRX, Motul Motylgear, mobil SHC and Gulf Syngear are also good choices.

0w-30 should be fine for the engine, but sometimes Imprezas can be a bit rattly when cold with a 0w oil and the UK doesn't get cold enough to need a 0w, so I would probably go for a 5w-30.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, mobil ESP, castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

Yes, the gearbox needs a 75w-90 GL5 oil as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oil.aspx

The Millers CRX NT, Motul Gear 300, Red Line 75w-90NS and Gulf Competition are ideal as top end options. The Millers TRX Synthetic/EE Nanodrive, mobil SHC, castrol Syntrax Universal Plus and Valvoline Synpower TDL are good, but a step down from the top oils. Fuchs Gear Syn, Motul Motylgear, Millers TRX Semi and castrol Universal are good, cheaper options.

Delivery normally takes 2-3 days.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @oilman

Hoping for some advice on the below spec. Looking through threads I'm expecting you to say 5w40. If so, out of interest, why not the 5w30 the dealers/manual, states? Thanks!

Model: WRX STI
Year: 2014
Engine: 22k miles. I believe the last Subaru service states 5w30 petronas oil was used.
Performance modifications: None, maybe an air oil seperator at some point.
Driving style: Road, daily driving, no track.
Power: Factory 300bhp

Hi

5w-30 is recommended for economy purposes, so not the best option for when the car is driven hard. A 5w-30 is fine for normal road use, but if you want to thrash it, then a 5w-40 is the more sensible option. Also, quite a lot of people have reported oil consumption with 5w-30 and the 5w-40 will slow/reduce it. If yours is getting driven sensibly and doesn't burn oil, a decent 5w-30 will be fine, but with hard use and if it burns oil, a 5w-40 would be more sensible.

Cheers

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

I'm looking to buy some 5/40 fully synth oil for my 2004 JDM Impreza WRX auto and would like to know your thoughts on these two please:

• Fuchs Titan Race Pro S
  • Millers CFS

I see you regularly recommend both, but is one better than the other?

The car is pretty standard, save for the blitz nur spec exhaust and induction kit. 65k on the clock and road driving only.

Thanks for your help.

David

Hi David

Toss a coin, they are both top quality oils.

I really have no preference between those two, but at the moment the Fuchs comes with a free litre, so that would swing it for me.

Cheers

Tim