Oil advice & recommendations from oilman @ Opie Oils

Hi guys 👋 

I recently just got my 2008 wrx Sti back from being forged by Andy Williams after it blew a day after I got it! Still running the standard 330 (Prodrive performance pack) out of the factory with a stage 1 organic clutch and lightened flywheel with a pro r exhaust system. Still in the process of running her in but will be doing an oil change very soon. I plan on putting millers oil through her and I decided to give this new Sti pink oil filter a go 🙏🏻🤞🏼. However I need some advice on what diff oil I should use because I’m looking to change that also! What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance - conjiman 

• 2 years later...

1999 Forester turbo S with a version 4 STI engine and gearbox.

Im running Millers fully synthetic 5-40.

Weekend car, used only for shopping and the likes, got a 2019 for pick up for work/daily use.

• 1 year later...

So, I heard about alleged claims of Subarus burning excess oil while doing my research before purchasing a new one, and I've checked out (regularly) the US based SubaruOutback forum, etc. It's obviously a issue with many modern cars, not just Subaru, trying to best the mpg efficiency figures and new environmental regs, etc.

Recently, I've come across this Youtube video, posted on the Subaru forum about oil changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4JS7PybV2k&t=1386s

I intend to keep my car 'forever'.  I've owned it for about a year from new. It's had one dealership service at 7000 miles/1 year.

Should I now start doing oil changes every 5000miles/6 months instead of the Subaru UK service interval recommended 12000miles/1 year?

What are your thoughts?

What miles do you actually do in 6 months ?
Sticking to a 6k miles regime is sensible as is not throwing away good serviceable oil and filter just because 6 months are up .
Problem with new cars is the basic engine & transmission mechanicals will outlast the electronics/electricals & appalling emissions systems by a a decade plus (excluding subaru diesel engines lol)
Most of our work and expensive repairs are all newer cars and electrical/emission/ safety related equipment .
They already getting border line close to not financial viable repair when not long out of warranty and main dealer assistance 😕
The hybrid going be much same as the 2008-2011 diesels and being scrapped in huge numbers as worthless garbage too costly make work and some faults unfixable as manufacture engineering mistakes/choices with no viable solutions .
The amount of moaning I get from any owner of a hybrid is simply astounding, it a miserable and costly experience for a lot of people  😞

7 minutes ago, Mr B said:

What miles do you actually do in 6 months ?
Sticking to a 6k miles regime is sensible as is not throwing away good serviceable oil and filter just because 6 months are up .
Problem with new cars is the basic engine & transmission mechanicals will outlast the electronics/electricals & appalling emissions systems by a a decade plus (excluding subaru diesel engines lol)
Most of our work and expensive repairs are all newer cars and electrical/emission/ safety related equipment .
They already getting border line close to not financial viable repair when not long out of warranty and main dealer assistance 😕
The hybrid going be much same as the 2008-2011 diesels and being scrapped in huge numbers as worthless garbage too costly make work and some faults unfixable as manufacture engineering mistakes/choices with no viable solutions .
The amount of moaning I get from any owner of a hybrid is simply astounding, it a miserable and costly experience for a lot of people  😞

Hi Mr B, thanks for your speedy reply.  I did just over 7,000 miles in the one-year service period, which is way less than I used to clock up (about 12 -13K )on my previous non-Subaru vehicles.  They were all consequently serviced before the year was up (around 10 month intervals) when the cars clocked up 10K max. I never opted for the variable, extended service interval options that used to be offered around 5 to 10 years ago, but which now seem to have disappeared!

Wholly agree with the hybrids issue. My partner's old Skoda is coming up for replacement and she looked briefly at the XV, as she wants something smaller than the OB, but it's only sold as a hybrid except for the 1.6 engine which seems massively under powered and has 4 secs slower 0-60 than her little Skoda Fabia!!!  She's no speed merchant but a 0-60 in 13 plus seconds is not good for overtaking gusto when you've only a small window of opportunity to, say, pass that tractor and trailer 🙂

Indeed it becomes difficult to drive safely when that under powered .
If doing 7K a year you could stick with annual service pattern, you could do 5 or 6K changes at the mileage interval but if not doing it yourself you may find this inconvenient in booking into the service shop versus one annual trip .
I not a big fan of 10 to 12K oil intervals, it good for selling point but 8 years later we see massive difference in engines with more regular changes .
It just about getting sensible balance so not throwing oil and filters and your money away too wastefully .

21 minutes ago, Mr B said:

Indeed it becomes difficult to drive safely when that under powered .
If doing 7K a year you could stick with annual service pattern, you could do 5 or 6K changes at the mileage interval but if not doing it yourself you may find this inconvenient in booking into the service shop versus one annual trip .
I not a big fan of 10 to 12K oil intervals, it good for selling point but 8 years later we see massive difference in engines with more regular changes .
It just about getting sensible balance so not throwing oil and filters and your money away too wastefully .

Up until about 20 years ago I used to do all the servicing on our cars, but then getting a better paid job, less time on my hands and more expensive (and complicated cars!) meant I left it to local independent garages I'd come to trust.  Now, about the only motor mechanical aspects I touch are switching the winter and summers rims/tyres over twice a year! I've got soft and lazy...GrrrH 

Now Ive got more time I think I should at least do the occasional, between main services, oil change myself, albeit that that inverted oil filter does looks a bit daunting... 😉