Battery Drain problems non starter

Tracy

Hi,

Just purchased a 2nd hand SUBARU XV I SE PREM E BOXER AWD 33,000 odd miles 69 plate/2020. Used it for 4 days then went on holiday for one week.  Came back Friday, jumped in, picked dog up all good.  Saturday all lights flashing at me, immobiliser on and would not start.  Fortunately on drive.  RAC sending report but guy said the Battery was dead and not retaining charge.  Looked like a new Battery and not the original.  Car is outside dealers as no one in until tomorrow - Monday.  Since then I have been on this forum and seen a few posts about vars Subaru Battery and problems.  Does anyone know if it will be a continual problem with this car and Subaru's in general.  Never known Subaru's to be unreliable and I MUST have a reliable car, hence exchanging my Mitsibishi as it had done over 114,000 miles and traded before any problems.  Have NEVER had to call out breakdown for any car I have had in 40 plus years driving.  Where do I stand in getting my money back if the car is not fit for purpose after owning for only 13 days before it broke down at home? Will a different/new Battery solve the problem or is the car just a bad one.  Im so upset and worried that Ive got a dud!

I would guess that if hte batgtery has gone then the bill is a gonna be alot, aka thousands as it will need a new Battery pack. EV's will all need new batterys at some point, but 4 years is pretty short. Good news is if you've only had it for 14 days then your covered legally, see what the garage wants to do, either replace the Battery pack or give you your money back.

Dealers put new Battery in straight away.  So of todays date we shall see and if any problems will report back.  In fact will revisit in a years time when out of RAC warranty to advise of any other issues.

The problem won't be the traction Battery which has a 100,000 mile 8 year warranty but the accessory Battery (not the stop/start battery). Subaru factory accessory batteries are renowned for being poor quality -will quickly deteriorate if the car is left unused for a long while. I had exactly the same problem on my 69 plate xv petrol and broke down on the 2nd day with it. Dealer replaced the Battery with a different make and all was well until I sold it 3 weeks ago replacing it 

with my 2022 Xv hybrid which had been sat for a year at the Dealership (were asking too much money for it). I mentioned I wasn't happy about the Battery and a new one was fitted by the dealer (Simpsons of Highworth) before I took delivery.

I love Subaru and I think the build quality is better than the 4 Lexus I previusly owned.

In respect of Tidgy's comment about the traction battery remember this is basically the same system as fitted to a Toyota Prius and look how many old Prius are still around. In fact having owned 4 Lexus hybrids I know how good the Toyota hybrid system is.

Remember the Subaru is a petrol  design with the hybrid added.