fitting a legacy twin turbo engine in a classic scoob

cusco scooby wagon

has anyone fitted a legacy twin turbo in a classic,

as ive got or can get my hands on a legacy and fancy a small challenge,

its complete and running fine :) and the scoob is a non turbo classic and has a head gasket problem :angry: and its not worth much but too good to scrap so we fancy a track-day car or something a little out of the ordinary ,but i don't know how much out of the ordinary it will be . 

so if anyone has had any  hands on experience in this department please indulge me ;)  before i make any further moves  :wacko:

The good news is that physically it will fit. The bad news is that you will need a good proportion of the legacy it came from.

Wiring loom, ecu, vacuum system (of which there is lots). Probably lots more that escapes me at the moment.

Not saying its impossible, or even difficult but it will need a lot of work.

• Like 2

It will be a challenge all right, may not be a small one though.

You will need the full engine, so short-motor, heads, manifold, all sensors etc. Exhaust system with both up-pipes, secondary turbo exhaust valve, two turbos and down pipes. Inlet with cross pipe and intercooler. Full loom and ECU. Solenoid box and vacuum hoses (all 10m of them).

Which version classic is it? Some had rear drum brakes and all had small (266mm disc) front brakes so you will want to sort them too if you ever want to stop your new beast. I would also check the gearbox, rear diff and shafts... Some N/A Imprezas shared parts with the turbo so you may be OK, but others had cheaper bit. If you have the Hi/Lo transfer box then that will need to go as it wont be strong enough.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

It will be a challenge all right, may not be a small one though.

You will need the full engine, so short-motor, heads, manifold, all sensors etc. Exhaust system with both up-pipes, secondary turbo exhaust valve, two turbos and down pipes. Inlet with cross pipe and intercooler. Full loom and ECU. Solenoid box and vacuum hoses (all 10m of them).

Which version classic is it? Some had rear drum brakes and all had small (266mm disc) front brakes so you will want to sort them too if you ever want to stop your new beast. I would also check the gearbox, rear diff and shafts... Some N/A Imprezas shared parts with the Turbo so you may be OK, but others had cheaper bit. If you have the Hi/Lo transfer box then that will need to go as it wont be strong enough.

Enjoy!!

Adam i liked challenges,

back in the day i did rover v8 4 ltr into Opel manta hatch,  and have a Cosworth turbo into manta coupe which i still need to finish.

the legacy is in full working order (1997 legacy gt twin turbo)  

The classic is of 1999 vintage on drums and small calipers, its not a problem as i recondition brakes and ive got a couple of 4 pot sets that am currently working on and a custom rear disc set up not using Subaru calipers but will be a bolt on alternative  and a 330mm compB road caliper kit the size of discs all depend on the size of wheels i'll end up using.

Everything on the saloon will be removed in turn as i was going to be swapping everything over axle/shafts/prop/b-box/engine & cross-member/brakes/exhaust's/loom etc....

I was thinking it should be virtually like for like even down to some of the interior fittings  or am i being toooo ;) eager?  

The ECU will be stock for the moment as am not to clue'd up on that side of the proceedings ....... yet....but am sure it will be a  eye opener for a while till i get onto that page.

With you having a legacy whats the performance like  for a day to day user and is the ecu mappable or is it a ESL addition i would be looking at in the future,

i feel a good old photo session and spanner by spanner write up coming on  :D​ its a pity we don't have a quarterly magazine to look forward to like the good old days of car clubs !

• Like 1

Well it sounds like you know what you're doing, so I will also sit back and enjoy this one!

Do you have a GT or GT-B?  They made both from 1996-1998 and they are very similar to look at.  However, there is an ESL board available for the GT-B ECU but I don't think you can get one for the GT ECU.  If it's a GT-B it will have a "4G" ECU and you will be OK, as that's the one I have in my car and it's been upgraded by ESL and mapped.

GT had EJ20H engine with 76mm inlet giving 250ps power before the facelift (BG5A) and 260ps after the facelift (BG5B or BG5C).

GT-B had EJ20R engine with 90mm inlet giving 280ps power and was only available after the facelift (BG5B or BG5C).

Both engines will fit "like-for-like" and should work fine, it's just the ECU that may give you a headache.

Gearbox, diff, hubs and brakes will all be a direct swap.  Just the prop shaft which wont as the Legacy is 4" longer.

Edit... I should add that I haven't had any dealings with ESL for about 18 months so they may well have an upgrade for the GT now.

• Like 1

Just spotted this thread and I like the sound of a twin turbo classic scooby :-)

Simon@jgm has twin turbocharged his 3.3 legacy lump (so it's definitely possible) but he's got a custom loom , exhaust, ecu and probably running external wastegates.

here's a pic of his in the early stages (just cos it's real purdy lol)

8DEBF878-orig_zps9336c4df.jpg

keep us posted on any progress fella ;-)

• Like 3

Just spotted this thread and I like the sound of a twin turbo classic scooby :-)

Simon@jgm has twin turbocharged his 3.3 legacy lump (so it's definitely possible) but he's got a custom loom , exhaust, ecu and probably running external wastegates.

here's a pic of his in the early stages (just cos it's real purdy lol)

8DEBF878-orig_zps9336c4df.jpg

keep us posted on any progress fella ;-)

simon will be comming to re-map my other scoob next year so i'll quiz him on this possible project

He'll probably be able to tell you if you need to use the whole loom/ ecu and vacuum from the legacy .or just "T" in the extra vacuum and splice to the impreza loom .i haven't a clue on the similarities between impreza and legacy's as I've never even seen under the bonnet of one lol .

did nearly buy a rsk4 though instead of my impreza ,but they were just outta my price range at the time :-(