gauging interest

savage bulldogs

Shame they don't do HUD's for cars. If it's good enough to fly a plane at high speed low level surely it would work for cars. The only aftermarket one's I've seen was just speed or satnavs. Having the guagues on the windscreen would be so much better.

Defi used to do just that. I think it ran off the controller like the gauges do.

Not seen one for a long time so I guess it's obsolete

Tlag I didn't like those pods either but, i thought the pillar pods look fairly oe as their a full a pillar trim (not a add on)

Do like the look of the touch screen you've found though does it work directly off the OBD port or do they have to run off a aftermarket ecu ?

Pete my brv used to have a old school knock link on his v1sti works well but, my esl will flash the eml if I get knock and so does his apexi ;-)

Stanton I like the look of that bud simple to read at a glance ,

which is probably the only thing that annoys me about mine .

As when the sun hits it you can't see the voltage reading :-(

Mick I don't think the 3 pod looks rubish just to time attack for my liking of the oe look.

My mate had 3 white defi gauges in a pod in his classic and they looked

sweet . He did have a matt black charge speed kitted 550+ 2.1 with a straight cut dog box , screemer pipe and no interior .so they looked at home in his race spec road car

That touchscreen thing I found, the sensors are all wired to a central box which can be hidden behind the dash. Then it's one wire from the box to the screen.

No messing with OBD or ecu. Sounds good to me :)

Sound ideal place to me. What I did with my screen was used a thin bit of metal as a back plate to bolt it on to. But only needed to use the original double din surround hacked that to bits then used body filler to start to make it look like it should again, but still working on that part too. As i had got it all done in summer was outside nice day spraying it and a fly landed on the !Removed! paint when it was wet and like an idiot I tried to sort it out and made a mess so needs all sanding down again :(

Could you use the backing part of the air vents just remove the grills and build up from the back forward if that makes sense :D It was how I found it the easiest way as the foundations was there. Not sure how it looks on the inside though :) 

Not really sure until I get a dashboard to pieces, how to proceed. I made a bezel a few years ago for a carpc. I was quite pleased with the way it came out. (Bezel, not the PC).

DSCN0502.jpg

I wish now that I had done it in the air vents then. The PC project failed because I used the double din slot, which is quite low in the console and difficult to see.

• Like 1

Top job that mate. Not to bad in the impreza as it's just below the vents apart from the drinks holder and ashtray, just at the right height. And sorry me getting excited about seeing the end result. I want to come down and rip it now :D 

Looks well that tlag :-)

Will admit I was hoping the touchscreen would work off the OBD :-(

As wiring ain't my thing .don't get me wrong I fitted the 4 in 1 myself (with new wires and sensors), but tbo splicing into the loom to pick up the other sensors is beyond me .

• 2 weeks later...

Think I've changed my mind on the 3 gauge centre pod. Just seen these, best place to have them IMO and never thought about any like this.

7win.jpg

b6uw.jpg

qdwl.jpg

Only space for 2 but think I can do without oil temp, I never give it the beans until I've been out in it for a while anyway. Or could get a double gauge if really wanted it I guess.

Was being sold on Scoobynet for £100 but wasn't quick enough :(. Anyone know where I'd be able to source them? They're 52mm "auto gauge"? With speedo surround pod.

I had mine almost in the same place didn't like them there always seemed in the way to me and wasn't that easy to see. But the pod does look better designed than being drilled and screwed on. And I set the CarPC up with the OBDII reader works pretty well but doesn't give boost or oil temp/pressure. So gauges would still be needed :( 

Cheers Stanton! I take it there's no difference with the clusters on RHD and LHD models so would fit if I ordered one from America?

How come they were in the way Gambit? I can see it looks a bit in the way in front of the fuel gauge but not too bad.

As you said when I had them there it covered up what felt like most of the cluster to me and never felt easy to look at it was like I had to bob my head down a little bit but I had put them on myself and was closer inwards than they sit. But I didn't like them so now I have 2 holes on my steering wheel cover. and moved them back to the pillar. But I do like the design. And would agree they with what you say even though it's from america they should be designed for the driver to see so would think you would have a problem buying them and fitting them. 

Nick, i wouldn't like to say they have some on eBay but the newage ones look a bit weird with rotating holders.

Could always mail the company and see. May even be albe to see if the have a european distributor save on shipping from the states