looking to get some new brakes

tom_gr7

so, I'm looking to get some new discs and pads for my legacy. I did look at MTEC discs, although, a quick google shows that feedback seems to be hit and miss, so I'll most likely avoid them. Any other decent brands anyone would recommend?

or should, I just get normal stock discs with good pads?

Any ideas gents?

Pro R, Ebc Tarrox, Brembo ect.

I have run both Tarrox and EBC discs on my cars not much to choose between them, currently running EbC turbo Groved Discs and EBC red Stuff Pads.

Pad wise, EBC, Padig, Miltec all get good feed back.

Got the last set form http://www.Larkespeed.com

and before that from http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com

• Like 2

mintex pads are good have used them in past with Tarox grooved discs but they did wear out quite quickly - I found EBC pads to have the same performance but better wear - have also used Black diamond discs and had improved performance over OEM with those - I would recommend fitting braided hoses if you are still on standard rubber ones particularly if the car is a few years old.

5.1 fluid as well

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/black-diamond-brakes.htm

• Like 1

mintex pads are good have used them in past with Tarox grooved discs but they did wear out quite quickly - I found EBC pads to have the same performance but better wear - have also used Black diamond discs and had improved performance over OEM with those - I would recommend fitting braided hoses if you are still on standard rubber ones particularly if the car is a few years old.

5.1 fluid as well

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/black-diamond-brakes.htm

thanks for the link, I sent them a message just to confirm compatibility.

what is 5.1 fluid btw? :)

thanks stanton will check that site out.

So, I've pretty much decided on either EBC standard discs or Black Diamond 6 or 12 grooved discs along with EBC red stuff pads. - Are red stuff pads ok with black diamond discs btw? IO heard they can damage some other disc brands?

I would like the EBC ultimax discs but at 200 a set, its far too much for me. :(

Should I go for standard discs or grooved?

I upgraded to turbogroove discs and greenstuff pads on the mazda and the difference once they were run in was really noticable. Had braided lines on already but you used to get a lot of fade as the standard pads/discs got hot quickly so i'd say the drilled discs deffo made them stay coller.

The subaru is a much heavier car i'd gowith the best your budget can buy you.

Do they still do the yellowstuff pads ? Cant remember what order they come in :O

• Like 1

I upgraded to turbogroove discs and greenstuff pads on the mazda and the difference once they were run in was really noticable. Had braided lines on already but you used to get a lot of fade as the standard pads/discs got hot quickly so i'd say the drilled discs deffo made them stay coller.

The subaru is a much heavier car i'd gowith the best your budget can buy you.

Do they still do the yellowstuff pads ? Cant remember what order they come in :o

oh, yeah I'd like a set of the turbogrooves, but again very expensive. :(

Yeah they still do the pads, i think its standard, then greens, then reds, then yellows.

I'm defo fancying the red ones, I read they produce less brake dust. Which is always a winner.

I ran EBC green and red stuff with black diamond discs and had no issues with excessive disc wear

Thanks Jay, will take that into account.

The Black Diamond discs seem to be priced quite well. Will have a look to see if i can find some for my model.

Well, I sent black diamond an email, just asking if they could confirm a few part numbers would fit my scooby. Got a very pleasant reply, the guy gave me the part numbers for all the discs and pads that will fit my scooby. Pretty decent of them. :)

Just waiting for a further reply, see if they can do me any brake lines.

I can help but feel like my scooby should be blue though... haha

• Like 1

yay me again :)

Can someone do me a quick favor, when i get my brakes done, i want some new brake lines too.

These ones on Ebay are the ones I was going to get, can anyone confirm they will fit?

I'm pretty sure they will though, just after a little confirmation.

thanks

Looks fine to me. Brake Parts Uk are a good company I've dealt with them a few times I might even email them tomorrow see if I can get them to share any deals/offers with us lot on here :D

thanks buddy, cars getting serviced on Friday, so I'll ask them if they are willing to fit the lines+discs+pads for me. Otherwise I'll have to drive to those chaps in Sheffield lol

• Like 1

I'm sure they will it's not a massive job if they have the calipers off anyway makes it easier. I make sure you get the 5.1 ;) fluid emptied and filled up at the same time so it's nice and fresh too. 

ah yes the fluid. How much would I need? I found some on ebay, is erm 2 litres enough lol? hahah