Hello there

muzz

Hello everyone,

I did a quick Google search looking for the owners club for Subaru and this club was top of the list.  I have recently (2 days ago in fact) bought myself a 2003 Impreza WRX in excellent condition.  The car has had the same owner for the last 7 years who loved it to bits.  It's a very nice example and totally unmolested which makes it that bit nicer from a buyer point of view. Granted she is in need of a damn good clean and some maintenance work but I can't fault the condition at all especially with her age.  My most immediate job is drop links on the front and rear plus a set of new tyres.

So far I'm loving the car a lot, very nice power and handling. I'm hoping to talk to you all a lot more as I start my Subaru ownership journey :)

Allan

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

And it's nice to know google likes us as we like google ;) It helped me find all my !Removed! sites since 1997  :ph34r:

Please feel free to have a look around mate and join in on the threads the club has some really great and friendly members so feel free to have a look around and join in on the threads plenty that goes on here not just all car talk just 90% of it :D 

And as Pete says we all like to see some pictures :) 

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

And it's nice to know google likes us as we like google ;) It helped me find all my !Removed! sites since 1997  :ph34r:

Please feel free to have a look around mate and join in on the threads the club has some really great and friendly members so feel free to have a look around and join in on the threads plenty that goes on here not just all car talk just 90% of it :D

And as Pete says we all like to see some pictures :)

Hi,

Thanks for that :D  I have included a picture for you chaps of the car as it stands, like I said I'm fortunate in that it's totally standard except for two areas the first being a powerflow exhaust and the second being a lightened flywheel.  It's has new timing belts, clutch and the flywheel that I mentioned.  MOT is until January next year as well so I'm very happy with it, just need to start getting the car clean. 

Photo10-05-2014160809_zps961f0125.jpg

It's spent a large portion of it's life out in the sticks so natrually there's a lot of mud/dirt in and around various parts there is also eveidence of car wash paint damage i.e. lots of swirls marks. As I mentioned there is knocking from the front (lots of it) so the drop links will be getting attention first both front and rear. 

Tonight after having the car out I was hit with an engine management light which was P0340 - Camshaft Position sensor "A" circuit. (Bank 1 or Single Sensor).  A two second search on that brings back a wealth of compaints and every one seemed to be the "bug" eye Impreza.  Looks like I have my work cut out on that one if I'm to find a fix haha.

Photo10-05-2014161012_zps5164e923.jpg

The headlights have some hazing on them which I'll need to repair with those buffing kits you now get.  In a bid to test how easily I could restore the paint work I sectioned off part of the bonnet and worked through the cleaning process and compunded the paint back a bit and it came up very well which means I have a day or two of buffing coming up haha

Photo10-05-2014163820_zps848d42e9.jpg

Photo10-05-2014160829_zps1205a2c0.jpg

Photo10-05-2014164548_zpsdc8f1c7e.jpg

End Result

Photo10-05-2014170611_zps2a0e02ba.jpg

Anyway, that's where I'm at so far :)

Hi mate why do the bugs seem to be in better nick only just got myn few weeks ago ,I had that cel light and code very common problem I have read , I brought the 24 pound camshaft senser off eBay it's the one near the oil filler easy to get to, and myns all sorted I had a memoscan to erase the cel and code and it has not come back on at all today ....

Look's spot on mate. As a bug owner myself I would say like the hatch they was the most unliked of them all so sort of lasted well. I love mine but if it wasn't for the morette lights I'm sure I might have jumped ship long before now. But I have owned mine awhile and I like to point out that Burns won the WRC with the bugeye ;)

Hi mate why do the bugs seem to be in better nick only just got myn few weeks ago ,I had that cel light and code very common problem I have read , I brought the 24 pound camshaft senser off eBay it's the one near the oil filler easy to get to, and myns all sorted I had a memoscan to erase the cel and code and it has not come back on at all today ....

I had read that just replacing the sensor can help and those that had done didn't report the fault coming back.  Interestingly I also read that it was also down to poor grounding on the engines electronics which was causing the ECU to think something was wron, if I recall there was talk of certain items sitting too close together (if I find the thread I'll post the comment) have you heard anything like that?

Look's spot on mate. As a bug owner myself I would say like the hatch they was the most unliked of them all so sort of lasted well. I love mine but if it wasn't for the morette lights I'm sure I might have jumped ship long before now. But I have owned mine awhile and I like to point out that Burns won the WRC with the bugeye ;)

Thank's I'm very happy with it.  I was looking at headlight changes myself but I'm one of those folk that is a sucker for originality and would like to be true to the cars original look. Time will tell I can't say I totally dislike the bug eye although a nicer nick name would have softened the blow somewhat :P 

Yeah I did read about the earth problem ,on the lines of at high revs it shorts the senser out giving you the cel , my light only came on when I gave it a lot of welly I think the man who owned it before me never went past 4ooo rpm lol ,so I thought myn was an earthing problem I was going to buy a earthing kit if the sensor did not sort it out ,but it still drove fine but I checked all the earths , couldn't see any problems so I just bought the sensor been fine since ,I also read somewere that it's a subaru fault as these sensors were faulty to begin with . Easy fix .

post-2376-0-83068200-1399800242_thumb.jp