I have a 96 impreza wrx turbo I haven't driven it for a week. Went to take my mate out in it and was very hesitant Rev's would drop to nearly 0rpm when clutch dipped. Seemed like it was starving herself of air then suddenly pick up. Just had new start is going in for cambelt etc change in the next week or so.. any idea's guy's :)

I'm going to say the Maf mate if you pull the Maf cable off whilst it's running if it doesn't stall it's a sure sign it's that. Have you read the codes at all see if it's throwing any up.

And welcome to S.O.C 

• Like 1

Id say maf mate ive got a 97 turbo and i had same issues sometimes would also cut out at lights. Replaced it today and its worked wonders ! Idle and throttle response is spot on. I am the sort of person that would rather replace then try clean but that's just me. Mine set me back £120 delivered

• Like 1

thanks wrxweston i havent managed to do anything today just got home now do you have a link to website etc to where you bought your sensor from...i will still give it a clean but will invest in a new one anyway...:)

• Like 1

well ive managed to have a look it did stool also i had Battery disconected last half hr or so.. right. so i started car was still running for 20 sec ish then stooled. plugged bk in revs still low on idol so i thought id take her up the road had one little hessitant struggle and of she went nice and smooth. but when i dipped the clutch revs dropped to nearlly 0 (didnt stool). i will leave as she is for now as im having t/belt w/pump oil/pump etc change very soon. so will need to build funds bk up, do you think i should still change it :rolleyes:

Depends which version you have, some are on top of the inlet next to throttle body and others are on the right but on the back side of the inlet manifold, like this

20140410_073739_zpsmkju7np0.jpg

In either case get new gaskets before you do anything. And if it's the latter of the two try and get hold of the diaphragm that goes inside. Google subaru idle air control cleaning. Will give you both walk through guides.

Oh and don't undo the bit on the top without marking the screw locations. You shouldn't have to remove it to be fair but if you do mark it 1st other wise your idle will be all over.

• 3 months later...

Right had new exedy clutch and ngk platinum plugs fitted yesterday and passed mot.. anyway since the clutch started to slip it felt like she is holding back still spools up fine holds boost. So when i had clutch and plugs done yesterday thought it would sort it.. no is the answer. . I was just wondering where to start and what to check..