loud banging @ 3000+rpm?

barbus

ello, i'm hoping somebody can help me out, i've bought an '05 estate,FSSH 140k, it runs lovely and quiet until i hit 3000rpm or more,(i get to these revs when towing my boat and on hills), i've been told that 'big ends' knock all the time so to rule that out,it does sound serious,a loud banging. any ideas pls?

Second Bips comment if you can post a video with the sound. If it's the Big end's its a new engine :(

I would use that to transplant a turbo engine though so there is always a brightside ;)

It might not be a total loss. If its early stages then it can be salvaged. I've quite recently changed the bottom end bearings in an '54 plate 2.0i saloon.

There isn't any post restriction you should be able to upload it top the site -

particularly as we actively encourage this as it will stop gaps in the site if things are deleted from remotely hosted places like You Tube

edit - however have just tried mp4 to the media library myself and it was blocked - will have a rummage behind the scenes

Sorry mate best way is to upload it on youtube then just copy the link here. The file size might exceed the limit its not very big for videos at all, hence the reason why it's not loading. apologies for any inconvenience :(

What a strange noise. Almost sound like the playing card in a bike's spokes. Might be just the video and the wind. I take it you have had a look at the belts and pulley wheels ? I'm maybe going to go with one is wobbling about under load. :wacko:

Does sound strange on that video, but the wind noise doesn't help. It seems odd that you can only hear it a 3,000rpm. Usually bottom end is most noticeable at idle, but if you have caught it very early then you might not yet have worn through the bearing completely which would be a good thing. 

That engine does need a strip down. I would suggest you don't even start it up again if you can avoid it. Get it out at the earliest opportunity and you might just save it before you do any damage to the crank, con rods or crank case. 

• Like 1

tell me about it :unsure: oh well, i think it might be cheaper to just buy another one with the prices the way they are? dunno what to do with this now?? parts? scrap?

Well there is always buyers for these car's in any condition so that's a good thing I guess. The parts off the car again will be worth more then the car. :( But I really don't want to say you should do this or that. :unsure:

i've made the decision and bought a used but guaranteed engine for £270 +£50 delivery from the auction site :huh: , a friend of a friend will be putting it in for me on monday for £150, so hopefully back on track soon.

cheapest way i could find out rather than trashing an otherwise lovely motor, definately cheaper than getting another car!

any thoughts on what will need renewing with the engine swap? if it ain't broke don't fix it?, 

• Like 1

do what I did mate if all the sensors was working on yours swap them over,

swap the spark plugs and coil pack over,

check the timing belt, renew while engine out.

if renewing change the water pump at the same time.

that's my advice.

• Like 2