New to Subaru but... i get it.

soop

Cheers stant , it knocks like f on start up which is embarrassing ha ha but also I do a lot of motorway miles and am terrified of breaking down. I'm a capable mechanic, I just want peace of mind..

Ah fair enough,

I take it goes away when warm ? Just a bit of slap ? I don't even drive mine till it's properly warm as it makes me cringe haha. What oil are you using at the mo ? I find that different brands reduce the amount of nois from cold with millers being the best I've tried so far,

As far as I'm aware from my internet digging and info people have passed on, the ver3/4 engines are prone to slap due to the nature of the piston skirt design, so a repacement engine of the same year may not cure it .

I had a load of quantum synta semi synth left from a bargain buy, it's what I've always run the vws on, which millers mate? If not the ver3/4 then what is a better substitute do you think or will it last forever like this?

Not sure its whatever my garage puts in at service time,

I did an interim change 2.5k and used some fuchs 10/40 semi synth which seemed ok too. Speak to tim at Opie Oils for best recommendations (plus we get discount) I'm deciding weather to run fully synthetic next time. But a bit unsure.

No worries mate I'm just learning as I go along too lol.

The earlier engines are pretty soild so unless you start putting loads of power into her I'd just see how you go, does it sound like two metalic coconuts being bashed together when you start ? (Sorry only thing I can liken it to) if it gets worse then I'd look into replacing it

• Like 1

Love that description, yeah I guess it does, but on over_run (when it's cold and I accelerate gently and then let the accelerator of it sounds like someone playing steel drums until the revs settle. That part really does sound like little end rattle. But again, that goes when warm. When it's warmed up to temp I have 250%more confidence in it. When cold I'm scared and embarrassed..

This is how bad mine sounds in the colder months, thats been idling till up to temp but nit driven,

Normally sit in car and warm up unitl the temp gauge is in middle then drive. Slap lasts for maybe a couple hundred yards and gradually fades away

I wouldn't worry too much then I'm paranoidad they come, been told they are a noisy engine anway and had a service 2months ago, they mentioned slap on cold start up and said not to worry.

I've a youtube/google account so just uploaded it to that, not sure about how to do it on photobucket though.

These are the best pics I could get, I didn't have time but I'll jet wash the underside and get some more, not sure when as I'm busy as ten beavers at the mo but the measurements are from center of wheel arch to floor as you face the side of the car. Rear is 24 inches and front is higher at 25.5".

Lol rick was after them as he's suffering from saggy !Removed! syndrome on his foz, if you have a look in the suspenaion section, coil over pros and cons thread get a pic up for him :-

D

"You rang" lol. Yeah im suffering from rear saggy suspension.Turns out my excisting shocks are non sls.Ive also bought some brand new rear shocks non sls .Ive order some impreza springs as well so im gonna see how they sit .If it doesn't work out I will sell these shocks and get impreza ones.I got these non sls ones cheap.