New to Subaru but... i get it.

soop

My favourite thread title ever^^ and yeah you will find a generally better reception here than anywhere else, Scoobynet is just full of mid life crisis blokes telling everyone to they'll need a remap after chagning a wheel or adjusting the Stereo volume, and as for Vag forums, had on, hated it, full of 21Y/O's stancing there cars and blocking the hyways and byways with there dirty diesels. 9mpg y'all turbo POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

Cheers Tom, but I can't find a link starting img, I've got the photobucket app and when I click the link button it gives me loads of options but no img. cheers all. That's why I shyed away from the vw forums, I'm a bit of a veteran on that scene and I've had enough of kids telling kids dangerous info and selling polo wheel trims for 80 quid because they re rare. They weren't rare, there are millions of them. enough moaning.

I've joined this forum, downloaded tapatalk, joined photobucket but still can't find an img link and I can't find this forum on tapatalk ave its not giving me the option to get subaru owners uk on tapatalk, not sure what to do, any links to this forum on tapatalk?

Cheers, I assume it's been lowered, there was a edc unit mentioned in the recepts but the shocks look standard, I don't know what it was supposed to be like from standard so not sure what mods it's had... Any idea what the spec of the motor is from pics? Silly question but I'm new to all of this. Cheers all

Motor wise ej20g power output 240hp when new uses a td04 turbo. So everythings good for about 275-280 with supporting mods. It would need a new ecu to dp this as the 97-98 cars can't be reflashed :-(

As long as you look after it and service every 6000 miles it should last ages,

Standar car sits on 16" wheels and has about 7" ground clearance being an import I'd only run it on Shell v power,

• Like 1

Thats the info i was after, i wasnt sure whether the G on the vin was an accurate way to judge it or not but you've cleared that up, its worth mentioning that when I order parts i suppose is it?  I only put that Vpower in. I've had loads of cars over the years and generally ask the seller to leave the engine cold  so I can accurately look at the dipstick (confusing as f on the forester), check the coolant, check for smoke on startup etc, you know, normal stuff, but for some reason I forgot when viewing this one, and it was warm when I got there, and I guess I just assumed that  because it was burbling away without a rattle that the engine was tight and sweet, but the next morning when I started it there was a rattle on tickover, sounded big endy originally but most people who hear reckon its piston slap, and it goes once the engine is up to temp.The guy told me it was between 280 and 320 bhp and I knew at that point he was dodgy haha, I dont know subarus very well but I know what 240 bhp feels like and what 320 feels like. I offered him some sheckles and he bit. Like I said, i wanted a van for work but vans are boring so I wanted an estate, always loved the look of these and I'm over the moon with it, its exceeded every expectation and.....I love it. He must have run it on Vpower before because I put standard Shell 96 in the first time i filled it and it felt weak and just.....wrong, I get about 320 miles to a tank on Vpower, mixed driving. Its done 219k (miles) and does clatter a bit on startup which scares the S out of me because of all cars ive ever owned I've never had such a high miler. I changed the oil immediately, it still rattles for 5 mins on startup but then.... I get to work way faster than I used to. I doubt i'll mod the engine given its age and mileage, but will def keep my eyes out for a decent engine for when this one gives up. Any sensible suggestions? Millions of thanks for patience and help.

Nice looking foz fella

97/98' do tend to suffer from piston slap , just stay of boost till she's warm and it will be fine .

As for replacement engine's any impreza engine from 93 to 98 will fit .Although 93 to 96 will require you to fit your existing inlet manifold ,97 /98 will drop straight in .

do you still run a vag as well ?

As I've got a few mates with them [emoji6]

Yes mate, although it depends on what it was imported as, my v5 says s turbo but if I give anyone he vin or reg it comes up as a GL model due to turbos not being officially sold until 98/99

Bit of a pain but our engines are the same as the version 3/4 impreza so 90% of the parts are interchangeable which is handy,

As for the slap I feel your paranoia :-D although you may find different brands of oil will make it quieter, mine tends to slap until it gets warm so on my daily commute it's a bit of a pain. Just wait until winter :-D

The trubo maxes out at 280 so I unless he's put a bigger one on then I'd go on your assumption that the seller was a bit shady.

My odometer saye 225k but in reality it's only about 135ish after the kph/mph conversion .

As for the dip stick it's all or nothing, between the two holes is the official guide with the notch at the top being for thermal expansion. I've never had to put any oil in mine between changes.

This info is gold, cheers, cant wait to start looking at expensive shi7 i cant afford but will eventually if i mow enough lawns heehee.

I've still got this, sorry to the anti VAG peeps, but this'll always hold a place in my heart

whipp_zps7d8d3f42.jpg

this one is a bit poncy but my bro is a photographer

204903_10152096733030045_281635955_o_zps

Its got a overbored, bigger valved, smaller pulleyed, chipped, balanced, etc etc, the guy had a polo g40 and spent 5k rebuilding it and gave it to me for some plant equipment i restored, and i bunked work for 2 months to build it, its 170bhp at the flywheel, i put a remote brake servo and a few other silly bits on. fire extinguisher and stuff. no Stereo.stripped to the bones. 1340 supercharged, the 3" exhaust is hidden and only a fake pea shooter is visible from behind, it makes me laugh every time i drive it. the forester gives me smiles but in a more mature way. haha i'll never grow up

Could that be the case on mine too Stanton? i thought the odometer was clicking up fast, so my mileage could be less? because it looks so goo inside for a car that has theoretically been as far as the moon.... Don't they change the clocks? or is it just a sticker over the original speedo? cheers man

I'm not sure I suppose it's down to whoever has done the conversion, and with the digital display may be different as j'm sure the ecu stores that info ?

I Have a document for the importing garage saying he conversion was done at xxx kms and the speed restriction was lifted but the odometer reading stayed at the kms value but now reads in miles. But it still doesn't make sense as the paper work doesn't work on the division by 1.6.

All I have is a bit of electrical tape stuck over the K on the clock face so it just says HM now haha.

cheers stanton, ill try and clock it against a car i know has accurate odo. 

cheers savage, thats quite a lairy collection,I bet theyre all scary.Theres no boost gauge, can anyone reccommend a reasonable one? do you guys run mechanical boost gauges or electronic?