Exhaust Question and Quote?

So, in the future i'm planning to get a new exhaust, want something that gives the car a bit of sporty sound and maybe a burble if possible. But nothing over the top noisy.

As Saloon Legacies are relatively rare, I can't find parts online and if i could i'd expect they'd have to be imported and probably cost the earth.

So i looked at getting a custom one made. I looked a powerflow and decided that i'd avoid them due to negative reviews. But Found a place nearby that does "longlife" exhausts. Anyone have any experience of this? i emailed him for some quotes.

For a twin exit cat back system he offered £560 but reduced to £504

For a twin exit and sports cat system he offered £995 but offered it for £895!

For a twin exit with a decat system he offered £785 but reduced to 735. - also said "Its a decat which can be removed for MOT purposes."

On one hand I'd like a decat, but i can imagine it being a chew at MOT time and in case i got pulled over and was emission tested by the feds/VOSA. So I'm not sure about the decat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

tom

not heard any bad reviews of the longlife system and I believe it has a really long guarantee, from what you have said it sounds like the sport cat and system would give you what you need burble wise and keep peace of mind on the road

• Like 1

That's who I got a quote from Tom - they quoted me £360 for my Outback, but don't think they realised it had twin tail pipes  :rolleyes:

They guarantee the unit for its entire life, so totally worry-free. It's transferable on sale too.

It's who I'll be using when the time comes (and pennies allow  :D )

• Like 1

David was your quote from a place in middlesbrough? Tony banks in leeds does longlife exhausts, but he did my mates exhaust on his old 207 gti it ended up far too loud and the fitter left some nuts and bolts loose in the engine bay, which ended up destroying his whole radiator. So avoid him lol.

Thanks for the reply jay, would i see much difference between the standard cat abd a sports cat? One reason i fancy a new cat is because the cars done 91k and if i went for a cat back system im in a sense only replacing half the exhaust.

I used to have a cobra stainless steel sports cat which was great quality apart from the flanges were made from mild steel .

im thinking of getting a powerflow cat back made up but, i understand that they're franchise based so quality might vary from branch to branch (unlike cobra based in one place).

However I've seen my local powerflow distributors work, on my mates v dub and it's top notch and very quiet for a true 3" system .

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking this could be sooner rather than later for me Tom....had a look round the back with the engine running for the first time today...hard to tell if I have a leak somewhere as there doesn't seem to be much coming out of the twin exit pipes. If I put my hand behind them on idle, I can feel a draught, but not as much as I was expecting? Is it significantly less with it being a twin exit system?

Had another look under the car and the pipes do look very rusty from the back boxes forward - in fact, I think I had water dripping from the y-joint where the twin exit pipes split  :unsure:

What did you put in your 'request a quote' email mate?

I've sent off for a quote for a cat-back twin exit system tonight to the Hexham branch...see what they come back with. Shuffled the car around on the drive tonight after SWMBO's attempt at parking earlier....think the old girl is blowing a bit...the car that is unfortunately  :P

• Like 1

I've sent off for a quote for a cat-back twin exit system tonight to the Hexham branch...see what they come back with. Shuffled the car around on the drive tonight after SWMBO's attempt at parking earlier....think the old girl is blowing a bit...the car that is unfortunately  :P

What company was that mate? Theres a company called exhaust a fix in Darlington, I've heard good things about them. Might be worth a visit, may be able to get it repaired and save several hundred quid?

Just the Hexham one from the Longlife site itself mate. Will find the name later.

To be honest, apart from the back boxes it looks pretty rotten right along. Painful as it initially may be, it's probably cheaper longer term just to get it done.

Ps plus I want it, but don't tell SWMBO!! [emoji6]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Was quoted £595 to £695 as a rough guide, but said the rear silencers may be able to be used again to reduce the cost(?)

The Hexham garage is Gilesgate Autocare Ltd. I've sent a request for a quote into the Ashington garage now too, in case it comes back any better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...