Forester down on power under accelerations

Gary Dowie

Hi people

Ive had my forester for 4 months and recently started loosing power under acceleration and becomes a bit spluttery. I've replaced an o2 sensor that came up on the fault reader at a local garage along with new HT leads & spark plugs which made it a little better for a few weeks. Today I replace the external fuel filter and took off the Cat to see if it was blocked but I still have the same problem. This only seems to be an issue under acceleration. My MOT is due on Tuesday and this whole thing is really getting on my nerves. I know this car can be just right for me but am almost at the point of giving up on it. It's a 2002 non turbo 2.0l i. 

Sounds like you've covered a lot of bases already! I would fire some redex into the tank... maybe for a few tanks, stuff is good for clearing gunk that builds up on injectors and fuel lines...

I take it the air filter is clean?

Can't remember exactly what the code was on my girlfriends old Nissan, but I think it was O2 related saying the voltage was too low or too high, the Ecu kept trying to correct the mixture but it couldn't and it threw a code.

Anyway, problem was a dirty MAF.

The car was running on incorrect air information which meant the O2 reading would always be out and too far out for correction.

You could try unplugging maf or map and running it, or unplugging front exhaust sensor and running it.

See what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Www.importcarparts.co.uk

Just ring up and give them the reg no,

The n/a cars never used to have a maf just a map sensor, this may have changed, does your airbox sit at the back of engine and goes straight into the throttle body ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How does the car run when the engine is cold?

Are the sensor wire colours in the right position on the plug?

When I got mine, one of the previous owners changed rear o2, but a mechanic noticed to get the wires correct the plug had to be put in upside down.

Did you try running with map sensor unplugged?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't tried tuning with the MAP  unplugged but did run with the Cat off with no change. Think it will be Thursday or Friday I'll get a chance to next look at it as I'm working late this week for a couple of days. It's so frustrating. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so ive just ordered the genuine Subaru o2 sensor should be here for Wednesday will get that fitted next weekend. I'll post up if there's any change. So far I've 

1. Put into a garage only to find 1 fault code indicating the 2nd o2 sensor. This was changed, no fault codes. Spark plugs and HT leads changed. Same issue.

2. Had the same garage check out the fuel pump. All good flow and pressure.

3. Changed the fuel filter in the engine bay along with the air filter, still nothing.

4. Got a replacement coil pack, map sensor and PCV valve. No change still got this same issue. 

If this o2 sensor doesn't sort it out in really not sure what else to do. Especially with no fault codes!

• 3 weeks later...

Car runs well whilst cold but when the engine is warm it starts to loose power and sounds like it's only firing on 3 cylinders. 

Denso o2 sensor ordered from the States. 

Turned my coil had an intermittent fault that i dicovered. Changed the coil pack and I've had 2days of faultless driving. Fingers crossed it's now fixed.