Cambelt advice

Cambelt is due a change as it was done quite a few years ago before I bought the car.

I'm looking for a push in the right direction. I was advised to get the cosworth Kevlar belt but I don't have the funds for a little while. Now am I better and safer to just buy the £40 Dayco belt and get the Kevlar next time?

Surely I'm better to at least have new than run the risk of a snapped belt.:unsure:

Oil service is to be done at the same time.

The idlers & tensioner & water pump should be changed really @ 90k or more

Your model also has a idler upgrade to dual roller bearings over one as had few failures on single bearing small idler.

Bearings are not going be at there best & any failure here will land you with a very very big bill or scrap

ICP cambelt kit with all genuine idlers, tensioner & Dayco belt is £150. decent water pump is about £45.

Cheaping out here is a risky game.

I would never do a belt only on a customers car as not worth the risk plus a full quality kit fitted around 90 to 120k will see car through till probably end of it's life for most.

• Like 1

I'll double check the paperwork as have fsh. ill check when the pump tensioners were done. Car has 158k miles now. I'd never cheap out on the belt as its like a main artery of the car. I'm just looking for best options and advice on my budget. :)

• Like 1

Check your paperwork & what kit used.

I do agree the subaru UK service point for cambelt is low & in my opinion oem quality cambelt parts would see 80k to 100k without much drama on road cars.

• Like 1

Check your paperwork & what kit used.

I do agree the subaru UK service point for cambelt is low & in my opinion oem quality cambelt parts would see 80k to 100k without much drama on road cars.

Tensioner isn't named on invoice it just says "cambelt tensioner late" 1 @ £121.12

The company used are called Subaru 4 you located in Newbury Berks.

What kit used, waterpump too ?

6 years is not that high, UK subaru do 6yr, US do 8yr. OEM belts staying under the service mileage would do 8yrs quite easily I expect, well a lot do actually from what I see in :-)

If you doing quite high miles a Dayco belt & quality waterpump (don't buy cheap pumps) could be worth the investment & piece of mind.

Up to you & your budget at end of day.

• Like 1

Was whole cambelt kit £121 ? if so that possibly gates kit :-/ don't like them.

Waterpump not done & I would do one on a 158k car if looked old as even a leak caused by new belt fitting would be unwanted revisit & labour ...

Belt was 83.90 tensioner was 121.12. Can't find any paperwork on water pump and it's quite extensive. Possibly never changed unless I missed it. Total cost of that service was £618. Previous belt was changed at 58k

Done with BluePrint kit/belt by looks of it ...

Up to you what you do but a belt & waterpump could be your low  cost option if you so wish. ICP do Dayco belt & quality Jap made pump for £76 the set.

Blueprint pumps are about £42, Mahle pumps about £31.

I used import car parts (markicp on ebay) for 2yrs or so and found that they do give a bit of discount but only once you've used them a few times and you have to speak to them over the phone rather than using the website .

I normally ask to speak to luke as he knows his scoobs and has price matched most of the of the bits for my project .

Don't expect much off as they're about the cheapest for oe subaru stuff anyways

Well here's my chain of thought so far

I can get a Kevlar belt for £150 or I can get a belt, water pump, oil filter, oil, fuel filter, air filter and sump gasket for £150. Looking for a poke in the right direction but I think it's a no brainer.

Belt & pump, Dayco is part of same company who do Subaru OEM belts too.

I only use ICP Dayco or Blueprint kits, not fan of gates myself.

Quality belts would do 80k with ease, indeed hard working performance stuff needs doing quicker but the subaru UK service points on cambelts is ridiculously low.

I think kevlar belt is waste of money on your car ...

• Like 1