Red 2001 Forester S Turbo

Retserof

Loving it. Wolf in sheep's clothing. Immaculate inside and out. A credit to previous owner.

post-4030-142684995593_thumb.jpgpost-4030-14268500181_thumb.jpg

It's sitting a little high at the front because the rear has a complete spare set of alloys and a passenger rear door in the back thrown in with the sale. Very generous.

• Like 1

They were the original t spoke that cams with this model. They need a refurb and I will use as a winter set with winter tyres. The existing tyres are past there sell by date. But great to have options.

• Like 2

Just remembered why you shouldn't get your car washed by someone else. One broken headlight washer. What's the usual remedy? Glue it back on. As it wasn't working anyway or is there permanent plugs of some description? Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Asked my local mechanic to have a look at the underneath as I suspected the bushes after hearing a knocking going over uneven ground. He has informed me that the underneath is badly rusted. Now I have not seem it myself but he suggested not even trying to fix it as the cost involved would be more than I paid for the car. He will replace a bush or two and get it back on the road asap. He also stated the exhaust was on its last legs. He asked if the car had been left sitting in water for a period of time? That bad eh? Oh well I suppose it was too good to be true. The exterior and interior looked great for age and mileage but having owned a Japanese import previously to this I've become used to little or no rust on my cars. Is there any rust threads on the forum. Where do the foresters suffer the most from rust?

Hi mate, sorry to hear that sounds like a kick in the balls to say the least,

Usual areas rear arches are prone, how old is she ? Chassis rails and the inner and outer sills are also susceptible to tin worm

She's 2001. Shame really. The guy I bought it from had ocd where the exterior and interior were concerned pity that didn't extend to the underneath. Or maybe he knew and wanted rid. I'm gonna drive it and enjoy it until it let's me down.

What are the main issues that rust will throw up? Safety? Structural integrity? Or is that melodramatic?

I'd have a word with an m.o.t tester and see what they say about where it may be a fail, we had a member here a while back who was in a similar position garage told him to scrap, but he managed to get the inner and outer sill cut out and new fabrication in place the car was passed fit to drive again for a few years. Just depends how much you value and cherish the car.

I feel your pain mines a 97 car and I love it to bits even though she's turning into a money pit at the mo.

Cheers for rapid responses Stants. I'll mull it over regarding getting it through its next MOT in August. Last year it only had 2 advisories. A chip in the windscreen and a deteriorated exhaust.

Would you recommend a brand new stock exhaust or a second hand one or custom? Do you know How much am I looking at roughly for a new exhaust for a 2001 s turbo forester?

If it only had an advisory last year I can't see how the rust can be that bad in 9 months. Maybe get the car on ramps attack with a wire brush and some krust/waxoil and try and get some prevention going on.

The exhausts rot from the outside so could look worse than is,

Mine had the original exhaust system in place and fell apart in the middle.

MR B has posted up mild steel systems for 50 quid from eBay doesn't include cats though.

Powerflow do good custom units but may be a bit loud.

I had one made by a company in Sheffield with a cat in and was a full system. Cost a fair wack but it's guaranteed for 25 years so I could recoup some of the cost of I decided to sell on

Spot on. He said the outer skin of the exhaust was corroded but inner still ok but needs doing soon. As for the other rust areas I will ask him to be more specific. It was a quick call before he headed off on his easter break. He also said a misfire under load and would check connectors or plugs or something next week when he does the bushes. He's a good man so hopefully won't fleece me. Then I'll price a custom exhaust as I don't mind it being a bit loud. Had a 4 litre v 8 previous car with exhaust that cost stupid money. Hopefully a cat back on the forester won't be to pricey.

Subarus do go outside in so could be ok, mine was 17 years old wouldn't pass emmissions though replacemnt was 700 with high flow sports cat 3" all the way through and had twin resonators in the middle it's classed as a trackday system and was built in half a day sounds nice when giving it the beans but not loud when static.

As for the miss fire could be plugs as the previous owner of mine didn't change the rear ones so we're worn down so much ad they are a pain to get to so they didn't bother. Could be vac limes or something really simple, have you read the codes ?

I'll call EMP Performance in St Albans who did my last exhaust and see how much I'm looking at. The Mrs will go made if I spend close to what I bought the car for on an exhaust. But what does she know.

Not checked the codes. Is it a diagnostic I can do via the manual?

Haha I know what you mean ,manage to get a remap past the misses in jan, found out I needed a new wheel the other day that plus 4 tyres ,looks like I've mashed a synchro last night too. You'll be able to uses a cheap OBD scanner and the torque app on and smart phone,

Filling that there's a pair of black and green wires taped up under the drivers side dash. There's a thread in the how to section,

I'm done the pub so if I can I'll link to it if you can't find it

Back from the garage. Front bush replacement has sorted knocking sound. Plugs replaced as well. I had a look at the rust while it was on the lift. Could be a lot worse. But that's just my opinion. A bit of flaking here and a bit of bubbling there. But no holes or parts falling apart. The exhaust will need changing in the next 6 months and i will get some quotes for stock or custom replacements. Can't believe I forgot to take some pics. Anyway. It's not all doom and gloom.