Nevell,s engine build

Nevell

First of all I'm a complete amateur at engine building but not driveway mechanics ,done engine swaps gearboxes etc but still I'm stepping into the void lol ,the reason I want to do this is I have my subaru impreza wrx2002 bugeye tuned to 1.5 bar on a vf43 turbo with supporting mods , and I love giving it the beans but I have just destroyed a 5 speed gearbox ,and had to replace etc , this got me thinking with a 110'000 miles on her and being a completely standard ej205 not to sure how long she will last, so once the engine is built I'll be dropping it in her :-) , but also because It will be fun , but as I'm building the engine from scratch in my shed she will still be on the road . So all good , I'll be using a mixture of new and second hand parts and when ready using the auxiliary parts off the engine I have 'possibly the newage wrx heads aswell will see , and I'm only looking in the end to max out my vf43 so the build will only have to cope with 400bhp max and be reliable this build will be over the year so bear with .... Then I'll start thinking about a 6speed box :-)

post-2376-0-55046900-1436901719_thumb.jp

First step will be looking for a good but cheap ish bare block

Open deck ( easiest to find can't find anyone who has warped block etc under 500 bhp but can I get away with one ??

Semi closed deck( best option as already ready rear thrust but same price as cdb

Closed deck ( overkill on my build ? And will have to get converted to rear thrust bearing type or leave centre type ?

But have no practical experience with this :-)

I'm banging on about rear thrust type as there is more choice of crankshaft I.e nitrated spec c etc but most likely be using a oem new spec one ,and trying to stick to stock oem tolerances

Once block purchased , cleaning honing or if bores in poor condition or not to spec off to the machine shop to be oversized I'll be measuring bearing journals etc for tolerances etc then ordering bearings to suit , I don't know what I'm doing really but hopefully I'll learn quick lol

Still all questions I'm looking into, but any opinions or Imput would be gratefull all good reading up on things but sometimes outside opinions are all good :-)

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this. I'm absolutely fascinated with engine builds! 

Not sure if you've seen it yet, but I replied to your earlier post about this. I have a completely useless ej20 block sat in my shed if it could be any use to you?

Cool do you know if it's of rear thrust bearing type ? Only due to the crankshaft I'll be using ,I take it's open deck but , I'm deffo interested thus far ,but still unsure what block to use yet :-) to much to think about lol but I'm in no rush :-)!

• Like 1

They changed from center thrust at v5 (my 98) onwards to rear thrust on the imprezas and the earlier blocks can be converted to take the later thrust crank (£180 ish )

If you're aiming for a 2.1 stroker build you'll need the 2.5 nitrated crank and slightly shorter (2mm) rods or pistons as the extra throw on the 2.5 crank(that increases the cc to 2.1) will poke the pistons too far out of the block .

I'm running a standard early 2ltr crank as I've been told they're good for 500 hp + anyways. But you could fit the later nitrated 2ltr thrust crank into a modified early block.

If you're spending a bit on internals I personally would spend that little bit extra and use at least a scd (or get the block pinned ) to protect your investment

• Like 2

It's a bit of a minefield but if you can decide on a end result and stick to it your a better man than me [emoji4]

Budget was a major factor for me as I only had £1k to buy the parts to refresh my engine but project creep crept in

£2k later I'd bought all the internals, payed the engineer for the over bore /skim work ,full timing belt /gasket kit and arp bottom end/head bolts .

It soon mounts up if you don't stick to plan A [emoji5]

• 4 weeks later...

Right I'm back from holiday and back on the case this is on it's way to me I'll clean check sizes and paint more pics and info when the phase 2 ej20 block arrives I'm getting excited and nervous now :-)

post-2376-0-41549300-1439071834_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hi all its been !Removed! ages lol well everything got put to the back burner when I broke another 5speed box the engine had to wait  ,well I took the plunge and got a 6 speed non dccd box and have been doing the conversion myself on the drive 😀😩😩 very fun lol ,to be fair everything went in quite easy except I had to undo the engine mounts to pull the engine back to get the box on as the 6speed is a lot wider basically fills the transmission tunnel but apart from that everything went smooth as very easy conversion and you don't need half the parts certain forums say you do , I used my 5speed clutch flywheel starter motor slave cylinder rear diff and cradle , aslong as its U.K. Car there all the same ratio I only had to use the gearlinkage Sti prop shaft and mount , to be onest it's easy problem is there is so much false info out there on this, but make sure it's a uk box and diff or it can become a minfield with ratios , whilst the car was up it was time to refurbish my anti roll bars with new white line bushes and own drop links etc ,I have also removed the subframe which is not needed and reduces weight , I also spent abit of time sanding back any rusty spots and having ago with some stonchip 😀 I have also took the plundge on some Sti brembos and 2piece stop tech discs 👌Withnew dot 5.1 fluid I got hold of some fully adjustable with pillow all mounts coilovers aswell (jic magic ) they come off an import Sti there quite popular in Japan and the us but are an older style gas filled type very cool hearing the suspension working but a big mistake as no one can service them in this country 😳 Lastly I just got a new set of Goodyear eagle f1 asy 3.s 😄Car is ready for big power now so I'm on the look out for a ver7 or 8 Sti engine to rebuild now going for around the 500 mark 😀😀 so watch this space lots more to come 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice work , you have been a busy boy nev [emoji41]

6 speeds are also a little bit heavier than the 5's ain't they [emoji5]

Glad you didn't get conned into buying clutch ,fly ,rear diff ect.... [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊