bad start..

twade76

Hello, just joined the forum as I just bought a 2008 legacy diesel.

It's all about to come to an end though as I took it to a Subaru dealership for a health check and they've identified what seems to be a major issue.

There's a slight knocking on start-up and some very fine particles of what seems like metal in the oil, so they've diagnosed worn crankshaft bearings and have quoted over £10k for the repair!

I'm in the process of trying to get a refund from the dealers that I bought it from (a non-Subaru used car dealer) but I'm assuming that they'll be difficult and have already asked for the report as they don't agree with the findings.

Any other ideas of what may be the problem so I'm a bit more informed when the arguments start?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Hello & welcome sorry to hear your woes, does sound like big end failure however subaru know how to charge and most of the 10k will be labour, a decent engine builder will do it for 3-4k depending on the damage and what needs replacing, may be worth giving api impreza a bell and getting getting a rough quote form them.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I have a 12 month warranty on the car, however it only covers repairs up to the value of the car which was 5k. So a new engine would be taking it right up to the limit.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a refund and find another one.

Thanks.

Definitely going for the refund, I think it'll just end up being a fight to get it.

The dealer I bought it from has asked to see the report from subaru, I reckon they'll want to get it checked out by their own friendly garage.

Tom.

I bought my old mr2 from a dealer (shady one at that) and 2 weeks later the Shell bearings had shredded and they refused to fix under Warrenty so I just changed them myself...easy on a 3sgte engine not sure on a scoob but if your mechanically minded like me maybe you could do it?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have considered it, however I haven't really got the space or proper tools as I believe its an engine out job and my wife is 7 months pregnant with our first child so I can't really risk having a car out of action til I get it fixed!

Dropping it off at the place I bought it tonight, we'll see what they've got to say.

Well, the dealer sent it off to his garage who has given it a clean bill of health, however the day after I picked it up I noticed that the oil pressure light comes on at low revs, but turns off above around 2k revs.