Looking for Advice on Which Model and What To Look For

smithtm5

Hey guys

Having been a member of various owners clubs over the years I've often found some really good, honest advice from enthusiasts - and looking through this forum I'm optimistic about getting the same.

I'm in the market for a Subaru. Having looked around for a little bit, I've decided I want the Impreza - the saloon not the estate/hatch. I'm undecided on which model though, and here's the big ask....

Which model(s) would people recommend, and what are the common issues / faults to look out for? Other owners clubs have a sticky or pin with this information right at the front of the forums, but I can't find anything here (unless someone would kindly direct me?).

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi ScoobyGhost

I've noticed there does seem to be a massive range in prices for (apparently) the same models. At the moment I've been looking at the cheaper end of AutoTrader - the sub-4k mark. But I've bought the cheapest of the cheap cars previously and come unstuck, so budget can be increased should the consensus be that the car will be so much better.

Go for sub-8k as a guide.

I should also say that whilst I don't have a wealth of mechanical knowledge or experience, I have done some minor auto restoration and modification before, I'm very able at auto-electrics and not afraid to try to work on essentially anything on a car.

Tom

A lot of the price variations are due to modifications, service history, mileage. As a guide, I paid £1300 for my classic turbo 2000. That was due to 158k miles when I bought it. It came with a massive folder of history and no modifications.

A budget of 8k will net you a great selection of different models. The hawk eye(2006) model does have the 2.5 engine but has a big leap in yearly tax which needs to be considered.

A local member just bought a 2004 blob eye sti with 84k miles for £6400. It's been modified to 330hp(ish from memory). Very nice car.

Hello & welcome there is a faq/buying guide here http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1619-Help-Check-Guide-Buying-1st-Subaru

If your using the tapatalk app it's hard going trying to find any stickies.

As ghost say's an 8k budget will get you anything from a well sorted refurbed classic to a good newage car, good luck with the search and feel free to have a good poke around the forum as we're all friendly ☺

Hey guys, thanks for the posts so far.

Unfortunately the Mrs' car went up the spout yesterday (HG failure) so budget's been slashed considerably as got to get hers sorted first (daily runner). Last time I got HG and engine repair done was circa 2k so she's opted for a new car - revised budget for the Scooby now realistically sub-4k. :angry:

Stants - thanks for the link, exactly what I was after in terms of pre-purchase checks.

Tidgy - not after something that's going to win races, it'll never be raced on a track etc. But I'm not used to being left at lights by the local kids either (coming from a modified MR2 MKII).