Police pulled me and told me it's illegal for my car to pop and bang?

Classicscoob2000

Hi guys, I just had a jam sandwich pull me over trying to tell me it's illegal for my car to pop and bang? What complete and utter crap? Yes the car is noisy but I never knew there was such thing as a "noise law on a car" I wasn't speeding or driving like a bell and argued my point until he was soaking whilst I sat in my car. Nothing against police but was he just being a tool or am I missing something here?

• Like 1

There are laws against noise but it is a bit vague....

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

"Modified exhaust systems

It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise."

I don't drive like a nut case but I have just had a long drive and like all subarus it has a certain note but just happened to drop out a Big Bang as I come down into third whilst engine breaking. The car has only just had an mot as in last Saturday. Well I guess I have been educated but sheeeeesh go chase the guy that was undertaking in the hard shoulder, there's fireworks going off go arrest them for making bangs!!

My understanding is that you cannot modify an exhaust (drill holes in it to sound grunty) but, if the exhaust is bought off the shelf and sounds louder then it is ok. A car cannot fail an mot on the amount of noise it makes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That copper sounds like a right jobs worth. Did ge try n give you a ticket or something? Id bet he pulled you hoping to do you for something else (drink/drugs/or somethings like that), then realised he couldnt do tried to do you for something else.

No I didn't get a ticket, he done a lap of my car id assume to check my tyres. He took my driving license and went back to his car, again i assume to do his checks then after he clearly couldn't find anything on me he went off about the exhaust? ..........I FELT like I was at home and the mrs was looking for any excuse for an argument?!?!?

Just wondering is the car de-catted did he check?

Working out if I am going for a full de-cat or just putting a 100 cel in to keep plod happy if they ever check.

From what I have seen you shouldn't make your car louder than it was at factory but thats hard to prove and as you say its not crazy loud. I would say its hard for him to give you a ticket as your not sat on your drive reving the car so he can not say your disturbing the peace.

I also think most bikes are louder than my scooby.

Just decat it, like phila67 said scooby drivers are an easy target. You are right there are far noisier things on the road. Nothing against police but grow up. I remember I was pulled over about ten years ago and I noticed the police cars tyre was bald and pointed it out.... Big mistake.... Turned my car over from bonnet to boot...one rule for one and another for another...with regards to the decat I feel the difference with mine with respect to fuel and power gains.

Sounds like a right jobs worth my exhaust is loud and can backfire with a flame from time to time never been pulled over once. my window tints on the front are too dark really for the law anyway, I can see clearly out of them. But as said above we shouldn't change it to make it louder but we do. copper was probably out to start his career off, I find a lot of new coppers to be pricks. Can you get a bung like on the Blitz nur spec to just take in an out. 

• 3 years later...
12 hours ago, flori said:

How would you feel if you are pushing you r baby stroller with a 4 month infant and some ******* with a subaru popping exhaust and your child shakes and cry like crazy??????????????

#TRIGGERED

• Like 1

Adding a sports CAT is a MOT failure as it is not Type Approved for the car. The only sports cat that is MOT legal is the Prodrive. Currently no one looks into this detail but I believe those are the facts. They will clamp down eventually, just like those new noise cameras that are being tested in the UK.

i got pulled in london for my tints by a stop check told me its a warning about drivers front window then 2 weeks later got a £50 fine in the post the bas***d didnt tell me anything about a fine

i got pulled in london for my tints by a stop check told me its a warning about drivers front window then 2 weeks later got a £50 fine in the post the bas***d didnt tell me anything about a fine
I've heard of people being pulled and being forced to rip them out on the spot. Never heard of a fine though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 3:58 AM, flori said:

How would you feel if you are pushing you r baby stroller with a 4 month infant and some ******* with a subaru popping exhaust and your child shakes and cry like crazy??????????????

I have kids and I must say I'm not sure I understand your argument, So we get rid of all the loud exhausts, what about all the buses and trucks that make 10 times the amount of noise just by releasing brake pressure or gearing down?? Hell even I get a fright if a large vehicle comes up behind me and makes some arbitrary noise due to exhaust back pressure or air compression system

So what you are saying is actually everyone who makes a noise around my baby should just go home so I can take my child for a walk in silence??

@Classicscoob2000 seems like you got someone having a bad day, I'd chalk it up to a one time thing and forget about it.

• 1 month later...

In regards to noise and modified exhausts
Any vehicle brakes the law if said vehicle dB levels are not that of what it left the factory
I.e an Impreza bugeye dB level from factory is around 79db any modification is deemed not suitable and is subject to public order act and/or asbo regardless of how it is driven. Road traffic offences and vosa are completely different and if the police deem it unroadworthy they have the right to impound and take to vosa for further inspection. I’ve been through it a lot lol

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk